Question How do I change the reentry texture color ranges (and intensity?)?

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi.
As I've already mentioned in a question I asked a few seconds earlier, I'm making a reentry texture mod. I'm using GIMP 2.8.8 with DDS support plugin to edit the reentry.dds. I want to make the textures turn red, yellow, then white, then green then blue. And I would also like it if anyone could tell me if it's possible and if so how to change tex intensity globally. I want to make the texture intensify earlier than it does now.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter\OrbiterSDK\Doc\API_Guide.pdf page 12.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'd love to see the reentry plasma get a bit more dynamic. It's a good idea.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know what RGB channels are. I searched on the Internet. Can anyone give me a simple explanation on it and how to do so?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AS I said in the other thread you can modify those values only for add-ons you can recompile as they're stored either vessel's dll file or vessel is using default values which cannot be tweaked without recompiling the core code.

Default ones goes from red to white however it'll mix colour from the default reentry texture which is pure white. You're somewhat limited but if you add some green component to colormap (leaving opacity map intact) reentry stream should change from red > white to yellow > green.

For more advanced stuff (vessel specific) I'd recomend disabling particle stream alltogether and and add custom particle emmiters (dummy trusters) which can be configured whatever you like.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What do you mean add to colormap? Do you mean put some green in the texture? (I really #### at the advances of image editing you see)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes. Put some green overlay on thje texture but remember to save it in correct dds format (dxt5) to preserve opacity map (also known as alpha channel). Since I'm not using GIMP I don't know exact export settings.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do you actually mean all this time....
I opened the channels and started clicking them in different orders. Different colors came in different combinations.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As simply as I can put it.

1. Open the texture file
2. Paint opaque sections light green (or whatever color you want to be at "hottest part"
3. Do not touch alpha channel
4. Save the file in dds (dxt5)

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I've already posted my mod but it hasn't been approved so no chance of update yet.
Is it possible to change the coolest color?

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Actually, I need to ask a little irrelevant question. When you upload mods to O-H, do they need to have admin approval to even display on your personal page? I feel a bit worried because I don't know.