Question How do you make exhaust textures?

XSSA

Reaction score
What do you need?:hailprobe: I want to know what the textures should look like.

Things known:
1.It's in DDS format
2.Have a photo manipulation program (Photoshop)
3.Have Dxtbmp (DDS Converter)

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well, i recommend you get Paint.NET too, since photoshop really can't save a proper .dds file to save its life... :hmm:

but then, that's that... you use paint.net to convert from .dds to .png, then (if paint.net ain't good enough for ya) you can use photoshop to edit the textures however you like, then convert back to .dds...

hope this helps :cheers:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
its probably easier to open one of the existing dds files and edit it, rather than try and set up a new file from scratch. IIRC, you'll need to edit the channels - so you should have a 4 channel image and the alpha channel will control the opacity of the texture... Colour is applied with the RGB channels, gradient fills are useful to help paint an effect, also its possible to blend in or manipulate a photo of the real thing. even so, you'll have to experiment a little to get the effect you want.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

well, i recommend you get Paint.NET too, since photoshop really can't save a proper .dds file to save its life... :hmm:

whats the problem with them?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One thing I always wanted to ask :) is what colour should the exhaust be?

E.g., if it is hydrazine/N2O4 based, on Earth it is violently brown. RP-1/LOX exhaust is a bit more into the yellow and red parts. BUT: what about exhaust in space? Specifically, what would hydrogen (about 2700K) exhaust in space look like - do I simply need to dig out the black body curve and calculate the spectrum from there (and possibly convert to visible colours)?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
For DDS files I use GIMP. It's perfect coupled with a plugin for it to open and save DDS files.

In case anyone doesn't know, GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop which has the same features, if not even more.