General Question How to attach Building Blocks 4.0 to a spacecraft?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Just another stupid question from yours truly.
Well I've had these (Space Station Building Blocks 4.0) downloaded for a while but i really haven't done anything with them yet, and I have no Earthly idea on how to attach a module to a space craft (I'm planning on using a space shuttle(default Atlantis) if that helps). I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the scenario file, but I've never really played around with those. Yet ;).
Any and all help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks
-Eli

Last edited:

Naruby

Reaction score
I see 2 options:
Just deploy them from the cargo hold and
and use
  1. a robot arm to grad them and bring them close enough to an other block so they click (read dock) together.
  2. use an other spacecraft to dock on the block and 'fly' it to the other block.

For option 2 you can see some screenshots by my of building a spacestation based on a excellent scenario provided by Grover with the Space Station Building Blocks

If you need more info or want to try it together (omp or other way) let me know. I love to do some building together with other players.

Mrev95

Reaction score
You need to add the following line to the scenario file, in the part about your payload:

Code:
  ATTACHED 0:0,STS-101

Note: you may need to edit the attachment point location on the block

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks! Now how do you rotate it? See attached image so you know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 May. 07 07.07.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 May. 07 07.07.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 35

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
you need to rotate the attachment point in the building block ini file.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Or you could use Universal Cargo Deck, which I find is much simpler, and allows you to attach anything to anything.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3312"]Universal Cargo Deck carrier for the XR5[/ame]

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I ended up using UCD for it. It worked well. Too bad 'bout the scenario, I should probably learn more about those...

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Once you have the attachment line in the payload's code, you have to use these lines to move it to where you want it:

Code:
  SAT_OFS_X 0.000
  SAT_OFS_Y -2.600
  SAT_OFS_Z 1.200

These lines exist in the shuttle's scenario code, so look there for them.
Note those numbers are meters, and X, Y, and Z refers to the axis you can move the payload in. At least I think, I've been doing things other than orbiting so I'm rusty. At any rate this worked well enough a while ago to get a Hubble telescope into space, so it should be good enough now:thumbup:.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I'd just like to say thanks to all you contributed to the thread. Yeah... thats about it.

Thanks again!

Ark

Reaction score
I prefer to just use UCD for Shuttle cargoes.

However, Greg Burch has an excellent series of spaceplanes and orbital tugs up on OH. The BSP4.0 is specifically designed to carry SSBB modules to space, and the attachment points in the bay are all designed to line up. If you were in the mood for something different, I'd suggest using that for SSBB-based station building.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I was just using the Shuttle for some well needed practice. I'm pretty rusty on my shuttle skills if you will.