How to get started with SSU?

mati140

Reaction score
Hi guys,

If it's a repost then I'm sorry but I couldn't find any info in this forum section. I'm quite new to orbiter (using it for 2 months) and I'm just starting with SSU. I thought that this may be useful also to other orbinauts planning to use SSU, so I started a new thread here.

So I have some important questions about getting started with SSU:
1. Is this actually working and possible to install in Orbiter 2010-P1?
2. Which files to download from SVN? There are 2 directories that are being changed over time: Trunk and Branches while Branches contains another 2 diretories with same-named files: EntryGuidance and OI-1. Which should I download to make it work?
3. Which files from download I have to compile?
4. Finally, is this project still in development and supported, bc the last stable release was 2 years ago if I read correctly?

Anyways, using method of trial and error and ready-made binaries I only menaged to make 3 or 4 delivered scenerios to lunch IIRC with all unplayable - e.g. SRB and ET were invisible and swithces from checlists dead. That's why I decided to ask.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm no member of the SSU team, but I think I can answer some of your questions:

2. Which files to download from SVN? There are 2 directories that are being changed over time: Trunk and Branches while Branches contains another 2 diretories with same-named files: EntryGuidance and OI-1. Which should I download to make it work?

I followed trunk up to today. The branches EntryGuidance and OI-1 were only recently created, with the former branching off trunk@1181 6 weeks ago and the later branching off trunk@1153 2 month ago. I guess both branches were made as feature/test branches to check things without breaking the trunk.

4. Finally, is this project still in development and supported, bc the last stable release was 2 years ago if I read correctly?

I'm pretty sure it is still in development, because the last checkin is only 8 days old.

The last revision I tried was when siamesecat changed the solution to VS9 (2008). This one is trunk@1196.

EDIT: It now seems to me like you expect the SVN checkout to work out of the box. This is not the case, because there are no binaries AFAICT. You have to build them yourself, because the SVN repo only contains sources. To do that, you need a Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 (I did it with 2010). In addition, check if you have OrbiterSoundSDK 3.5 installed and the appropriate header and library files copied to the /Orbitersdk/include/ and /Orbitersdk/lib/ folder, respectively.

regards,
Face

P.S.: If you want to checkout the complete repository in a new DVCS clone, you can try my HG mirror of the SVN repo here. I keep it in sync manually with approx. 1 week delay maximum.

Last edited:

mati140

Reaction score
No, I don't expect it to be like "out of the box" but I am clueless were to find those sources in the download.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I am clueless were to find those sources in the download.
Sources are in "Orbitersdk" subdirectory, in "SSRMS", "Space Shuttle Ultra", "libUltra" folders.

There are also packages with pre-built modules available for download, last one made 3 weeks ago (rev. 1203), if you don't want to build all yourself. All you need in this case is to pull the same revision of SVN trunk as the modules package.

mati140

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Installed revison 1203. But is it correct that I get no ET visble and cargo bay lights moved in some scenarios, and HYD CIRC PUMP and APU AUTO SHUT DOWN switches aren't working yet? Or did I mess up again?

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Both of these are normal. The switches haven't been implemented yet, and some of the scenarios haven't been updated to deal with changes made in the SSU code.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Were you successful ?