News Hubble telescope hit by mechanical failure

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hubble has served more than well and is now quite an old piece of hardware. Again space is an unforgiving environment, even for machines, and sometimes you have to replace the hardware. How amazing it is that they managed to get it back online, it is now operating well-beyond its intended design life.

I really hope that JWST will live up to its promises, I prefer they take their time and make every possible check before they launch that very complex and costly machine in space. I'm confident Ariane 5 will do the job.

If it is launched in last 2021 or even early 2022, I say fine, the timing is good. Of course it will probably take a couple of months to have it all set up, tested and fully operational, but that's OK.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

NASA Hubble Update: July 16, 2021 - NASA Successfully Switches to Backup Hardware on Hubble Space Telescope​

NASA has successfully switched to backup hardware on the Hubble Space Telescope, including powering on the backup payload computer, on July 15. The switch was performed to compensate for a problem with the original payload computer that occurred on June 13 when the computer halted, suspending science data collection.

http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=54970

:hailprobe: