Meshing Question Human models

Castor

Reaction score
Which software is the best for creating human models ?

P.S: I have already tried out MakeHuman.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Blender 3D is a free, open source option. It's considered the best free 3D modeling software out there, and is fully capable of modeling humans as well as rigging them for animation, and creating the animations as well. To my knowledge, there's no 3D Modeling software specifically geared towards a singular task. There's a number of ways to model the human form. There is an extensive wiki as well as numerous youtube/vimeo videos on blender modeling. You can watch my introduction video here:

Castor

Reaction score
@SpaceNut Thanks a lot!

By the way, can anyone suggest some reference websites for making spacesuits?

Any help is appreciated.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
MakeHuman is great, and has a sort of "complete exchange file system" that exports the rigging (to be able to animate and pose the model), the Lip Sync poses (to make the model speak, which is obviously not needed here), and so on. You'll have to design the space suit around it, but to provide custom human meshes, it is good at it.

To design space suit however, there's no such utilities as this. You'll have to make your own. Take some NASA spacewalk pictures from a quick Google Image search and apply them as background images.

Blender is one powerful 3D suite that can easily be compared to 3DS Max (I'm not even joking, the two can compete now, it's just that 3DSM is more known and more used in the cinema business), so it is a bit complex; but take a bit of your time to learn it and I'm sure it will be worth it.

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
www.blendswap.com (free account) has a number of low poly human models intended for game use. They would probably be a good starting point.

Castor

Reaction score
Is Anim8or good for this purpose?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is Anim8or good for this purpose?

Anim8or is very simplistic program and lacks features like "soft selection", skinning/skeleton systems.

You can probably make human manually but that'd take a lot of time. Also re-posing it would take hoge lot of time.

You can use blender, 3ds max (commercial) or GMAX (free, stripped down version of 3ds max). Not sure if Wings3d has skeleton/skin system.

Castor

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. MakeHuman and Blender turned out to be the best combination and I was easily able to rig and pose the models.

However, I am still struggling to make spacesuits. Could someone elaborate how to make the spacesuit around a human mesh ?

Thanks in advance,
Castor

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used Anim8or. But depending on the suit. How it fits. I basically took the arms,legs, torso and scaled out. And then added rings,.....

Castor

Reaction score
I basically took the arms,legs, torso and scaled out. And then added rings,.....

So, what you mean is that rings have to be placed around the whole body so that it is completely covered.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not depending on the suit rings at the joints.

SPACE1999EVAGUY.jpg

I used the mesh from Ummu and expanded where needed and added details

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Usually you just start from a plane, or a box (matter of preference, I guess) and create the complete mesh from there by extrusion, usually with a reference picture in the background.

Castor

Reaction score
Usually you just start from a plane, or a box (matter of preference, I guess) and create the complete mesh from there by extrusion, usually with a reference picture in the background.

After extrusion, is it possible to smooth out the edges ?