I DID IT! I MADE IT TO ISS!!!!!!

thumper235

Reaction score
This evening I decided to work on learning how to get to the ISS using the XR2 Ravenstar. I have been using this craft for some time as its forgiving and quite frankly very fun to use. Gosh, im so excited! I made! AAAAAH!!!! THIS IS SO COOL!!!!!11!! This was also done without the use of any autopilots. I did use the retro/pro-grade buttons for convenience. As you can imagine, it was a dirty run. Actually, I dont think you want to imagine how dirty this was. haha!

I hope I explain this right. If I dont, please do not hammer in on me. I really am trying to learn this. I will though without a doubt accept any and all constructive criticism you can throw at me. :) I have alot to learn and more importantly, I want to learn it.

Took off heading as close to 139 as I could. Made initial orbit and then hit the "Orbit (+)" button to get into position to sync my orbit with the ISS. Made a small burn and realized my goal of .20 was not going to happen yet again. Ended up with a 2.?? Number. At that point I though why not just try and atleast get a visual of the ISS. So I raised my orbit to match that of the ISS.

After all that I determined I was behind the ISS and made a small retrograde burn to catch up. Once the green and yellow lines matched up I waited until I hit the AN and made another small burn to match our orbits once again. I figured keeping my burns at one location would make things simpler.

At this point the ISS was quite literally a little spec that started on the right of my screen and would zoom to the left as we headed into the dark side. So I figured at that point since I now have actually SEEN the ISS why not try to atleast bring it in closer. Did a few small orbit adjustments like I did earlier and brought it in a hair closer. Now at this point it was a spec but you could make out the solar panels. did a few more orbital adjustments and got to the point where it was 5k away. now the iss was behind me so I flipped retrograde and used my RCS like a madman and actually made it and docked.

Mission Time : 1day 11hr:20mins. <--- Not to shabby for a first time?
Real Time: ~2hrs
I am confident I can do this again. I plan on attempting this until I get smooth at it and also learn how to use autopilots like a normal person would. Well, This is my story and im sticking to it! I do want to thank everyone here for everything. I gained all this knowledge from reading the wonderful information you have put up. Thank you!

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You sounded very excited! x) No need to use caps, we can all hear you! :p
Anyway, nice to see someone having the same epiphany I had some time ago. I did the exact same thing as you with the same ship.

I'm surprised you pulled off a rendezvous with a RInc greater than 2°...you must have been lucky enough to have one of your nodes match up with your encounter. Anyway, keep practising! I would call KSC to ISS or WIN to ISS my 'mantra run'.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes indeed, congratulations! I know that feeling as the docking sound plays for the first time (I did a little victory dance in my chair, but hey, I didn't have kids then).

For future attempts, try and work it more and more by the instruments and less by visual; It'll improve your time and fuel efficiency. And as River Crab says, it's really much more difficult to do this if your Rinc is so high. Don't forget you can fine-tune with RCS and even precision RCS, and I would say it's easiest with an Rinc of about .05 or lower.

Good luck! :p

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Congratulations!

I can remember the first time when I docked to a space station. That docking sounds and seeing the 2 spacecrafts together.. amazing! I had a wound from surgery at that time, so I couldn't make a victory dance or something, but I was very happy :)

Again congratulations! :thumbup:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Congratulations. Please collect your medal from Brighton Beach Moon Base.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations! I still remember my first docking to the ISS, and it's really amazing!

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
There's no shame in using an autopilot, to be honest. All real spaceflights are usually planned out ahead of time, and an autopilot program is used. I suppose that depends on the spacecraft in question, and etc. Doing it all manually is much harder- good job! Recently, I did a complete flight of my own from Brighton Beach to Luna-OB1, with a nice mesh upgrade, might I add, in a standard delta glider. Okay, so I used an autopilot, but let me tell you that just getting there successfully can feel really good. :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations, the first docking is always a great moment, and it is some kind of certification too : "I've understood the basics of orbital mechanics" :tiphat:

Now maybe the Moon, or another shot to the ISS using the Space Shuttle or the Soyuz-TMA ? ;)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Well done:)

Ahh, my first docking, that's a fond memory. I recall being so frustrated during the process that I was screaming at my computer and the cursors had gone all to hell, but it sure was gratifying to hear that sound:cheers:

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Congratulations!
Ahh... The first docking. Such a nice little moment when you hear that smacking sound and the playback stating that you're secured to the space station. My first time was in a DGIV, all flown manually as well, but that's because I just like to be a hero :p
Actually my first docking was AFTER my first lunar transfer, and that's quite like going backwards. The next step for me is learning reentries and then perhaps slings.

Now back to you for a moment :tiphat::
I think that if you can ascend manually, you can also make the RInc 0* manually without even blinking.
I used Tex's tutorial, it is very descriptive and helpful. However I forgot where I found it :facepalm:

~Take care, Oz :cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice job, Thumper. Wrestling down the ISS without Align / Sync MFD's - that's some feat :). I recommednd you go have a look at OFSS III next (Orbiter Forum Space Station). It's a series of misisons in an amazing array of vehicles, building an actual space station one component at a time.

Happy orbitnauting, and all hail probe. :hailprobe:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Nice job ! Always a great moment to finally make it for the first time :thumbup:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
precision RCS

That's Ctrl+the numpad keys. Useful for getting the RInc down to zero (when the RCS is in Linear mode).

When I first did a dock to the ISS, I used Universal Autopilots. Now I can do it manually. (Universal Autopilots doesn't let you choose the approach rate, and I feel like I'm coming in a bit too fast)

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats! I remember the first time I made it to the ISS. It's an awesome feeling!

thumper235

Reaction score
The MFD's have been a nightmare for me. No, literally I had a nightmare involving them. I have tried watching/reading a few tutorial videos while taking step by step notes and everytime my MFD does not respond like the one being shown. This is with me downloading the correct mfd being shown in the vid/written tutorial as well. I did this with hopes that as time went on, things would make sense and I would figure it all out.

Im going to take a couple steps back, sit down and just learn the MFD and do it step by step keeping the frustration to a minimum. Even though I made it, I didnt do it right. For some reason, I still kinda feel like I cheated the system somehow. My biggest issue is I dont want to follow a list of commands to get somewhere. I want to know what they all do, and learn how to manipulate them myself with an end result of following my own path. I want to understand how to fix me mess-ups. I am more than sure you all understand what im trying to say.

My *Ultimate* goal is to visit My favorite planet in Sol which is Jupiter and her moons. Each evening I step outside and I watch her. I have also intentionally avoided all subjects relating to this. I dont want the surprise ruined. :)

Thank you all for the congrats! :)

@rivercrab: seems like when I veer off a degree or two during take off I end up not being able to line my Rinc up. I will position my craft, do the burn, and the numbers will scroll down and get to a point like last night of 2.xx and then start heading back up. Does not following and exact 139 degree heading affect this?