I wonder what playlists they are jamming to?

Keatah

Reaction score
I wonder what the playlists are?
iss016e032312.jpg

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't find this picture funny?

Astronauts are people too, some of them like to listen to music, just like normal people.
They are were allowed to bring (some) personal items aboard anyway, so why not bring and iPod with some music?

Keatah

Reaction score
It's not supposed to be funny.. Just wondering what they're jamming to!

Keatah

Reaction score
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=22729
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/15/ipods-rock-the-space-shuttle/

And after more research I found they keep ipods (now certified with a non-lithium battery) aboard the station at the cardio exercise bike. And there is one in the bathroom too. And the pilot of the shuttle had one velcro'd to the instrument panel. Note the external alkaline battery pack that plugs into the docking port.

Previously the astronuts had to haul up cd players with them. But now there is signifcant weight savings!

I wonder if we could get CH to put one in the XR2?

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Non-lithium batteries? What's wrong with lithium batteries? are they explosive in 100% oxygen or something?

It would be pretty funny to have an iPod modeled into the XR2, but that'd distract from the fluffy dicez. :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
Lithium and water react, that's for certain. Probably kill you explosively. As for the atmospheric compatibility on-board station? I don't know.

For some odd reason I've never been a fan of the furry dicez..

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
It would be pretty funny to have an iPod modeled into the XR2, but that'd distract from the fluffy dicez. :lol:

And of course apple would go Intellectual Property on our collective asses...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
At first I didn't think it looked like an iPod, especially after zooming in. I thought it was a calculator. Then I realized after researching that it appears to be a first-gen Nano, which I hadn't seen before.

I sincerely hope he didn't have Elton John's Rocket Man blaring through speakers on the flight deck. That would be too corny, I'm afraid.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lithium ion batteries can overheat and explode. Not all COTS items can be space-worthy (wink wink, nudge nudge)...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Lithium ion batteries can overheat and explode. Not all COTS items can be space-worthy (wink wink, nudge nudge)...

Most batteries can overheat and explode. Or just explode (NiH2 batteries like on the ISS are nominally pressurized inside to 60-80 bar, just overheat them slightly and they exceed burst pressure).

Li-Ion batteries ARE spaceworthy already for a while, but they have other limitations that make them still less often used as the classic NiH2 batteries. For example Li-Ions had until lately a very high self-discharge rate and survive less recharge cycles.

The ISS battery modules of the US segment:
5420miller.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
is the first iPod with rows of soft buttons then.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
And of course apple would go Intellectual Property on our collective asses...

It would be be either me or Doug they would persue, but more likely Doug as he distributes it

Though its free advertising right? they'd be pretty stupid to complain about that... Unless I were to show the product in a bad light I guess.

However I would actually not like to give them the free advertising. I mean if we're actually doing product placement...:lol: Hmm, thats not a bad idea, i mean if it works for EA, etc...;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
However I would actually not like to give them the free advertising. I mean if we're actually doing product placement...:lol: Hmm, thats not a bad idea, i mean if it works for EA, etc...;)

LOL, be careful. Facebook threatened the biggest computer magazine in Germany today for getting banned from their network, because they created a simple two-click "I like it" button with Javascript, that complies to German privacy protection law.

The normal button is highly illegal and privacy protection inspectors already sue homepage owners that make use of this button (since Facebook is as US company a bit harder to get), because the button already transmit information about your page visits even without you liking anything or without you being member of Facebook.

The hacked version needs to get manually activated for sending this data to Facebook. Nothing more.

(Just to ensure we talk about the same picture: I am not talking about this one: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=22729)

Last edited: