IMFD 5.1j Issue

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Hello all,

Im having a problem with IMFD 5.1j showing up in my list of MFDs after extracting it to a vanilla Orbiter 2006 P1 build 060929 and activating it under the modules tab of Orbiter.

I have installed the MS VC++ 2005 Redistributable Package as directed on Jarmo Nikkanen's site.
I am running Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition Version 2002.

I just dont get it why its not showing up. Anyone have an idea why this would be happening?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I just dont get it why its not showing up. Anyone have an idea why this would be happening?

Two additional libraries Cowell2.dll and AttitudeControl.dll are build using old MS VC++ 6.0 and the InterMFD.dll is build with MS VC++ 2005. So there could be a compatibility issue between them. Rebuilding the old libraries with MS VC++ 2005 is not a small task. But if that is the source of the problem then it must be done.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Hey Jarmo

Hey Jarmo

Thanks for the speedy responce. I guess Im a total newbie (rookie) at this C++ stuff. I have been wanting to learn how to develop using C++ as I have heard that Java is similar to it as far as being an object oriented language but what you directed me to do to fix the issue was a bit over my head at this point.

Do I install the older C++ v 6.0 and then re-install C++ 2005? or am I way off. I am kinda looking for a fix that not only I but others who may be new to this can do to fix this issue.

I think it would be important to have a good workaround documented so that in case others see the same issue they can use your absolutely fantastic MFD.

One thing that may help is I have only installed MS VC++ 2005 Redistributable Package and also it might be helpfull to know that I have installed your older IMFD 5.0 and it shows up with no problem.
I plan to delete the files and start over after posting that it works.
I just wanted to see if your older 5.0 would work. I really dont want to have to use the older version of IMFD, I just wanted to see what would happen.

Do I need this Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) ?

Could you explain what you said earlier for us lowly earthlings?

Here is my Orbiter log file data:
**** Orbiter.log
Build Sep 29 2006 [v.060929]
Devices enumerated: 2
Devices accepted: 2
==> RGB Emulation
==> Direct3D HAL
Found 0 joystick(s)
Module AtlantisConfig.dll [API v.060425]
Module DGConfig.dll [API v.060425]
Module ScnEditor.dll [API v.060425]
Module Rcontrol.dll [API v.050206]
Module OrbiterSound.dll [API v.060425]
Module Meshdebug.dll [API v.060425]
Module Framerate.dll [API v.050206]
Module FlightData.dll [API v.050206]
Module ExtMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module CustomMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module LolaMFD.dll [API v.050206]
Module LaunchMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module LaunchCompassMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module ClockMFD.dll [API v.060425]
Module BaseSyncMFD.dll [API v.060425]

There is no IMFD Log to post here and I dont even see the InterMFD.dll being loaded in this log. Isn't that a bad thing?

Last edited:

skunkie

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im having a problem with IMFD 5.1j showing up in my list of MFDs after extracting it to a vanilla Orbiter 2006 P1 build 060929 and activating it under the modules tab of Orbiter.

I have installed the MS VC++ 2005 Redistributable Package as directed on Jarmo Nikkanen's site.
I am running Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition Version 2002.

I am having the exact same problem

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I really don't know. I am no expert on this. I suppose 99% of people don't need to download either of them because they allready have them. If you are missing MS VC++ 2005 runtime libraries you shoud receive an error message "this application failed to start because MSVCR70.DLL was not found" or something similiar.

Ok, I'll try to rebuild all the libraries with VC++ 2005 and let's hope it will fix the problem.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, I have uploaded rebuild packages let me know if it works any better.

Heywood

Pardon by my spanglish
Reaction score
Ok, I have uploaded rebuild packages let me know if it works any better.

Hi Jarmo; I unloaded the new version 5.1k and it did not solve the problem.

Regards,

Heywood

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am running out of options here. I need more info.

Does it show any errors when activated from modules list ?
Does it create IMFD-Log ?
Is there anything printed in the orbiter log ?
Can you run IFP (Interplanetery FLight Planner) without the same problem ?
Is there similar problems with other MS VC++ 2005 compiled add-ons ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have uploaded the old 5.1h release. I just wonder what's gonna happen when MS VC++ 2005 version of Orbiter is released. It could solve the problem we have here or cause even more of them.

Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I have uploaded the old 5.2h release. I just wonder what's gonna happen when MS VC++ 2005 version of Orbiter is released. It could solve the problem we have here or cause even more of them.

I've been using ver 5.1.e and have never seen this Orbit Insert problem.

Heywood

Pardon by my spanglish
Reaction score
The old 5.1h release works fine with MS VC++ 2005 . Thanks for your effort.

Heywood

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thank you so much Jarmo

Thank you so much Jarmo

Jarmo, you are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for your help. When you saw that there was a small issue with your new version, you responded in less than a day's time, and when you saw that it may be more wide spread than 1% of the users here, you posted your older version so people would still be able to use your EXCELLENT MFD.

Interplanetary IMFD v5.1h WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!

I would like to offer to you (Jarmo) my box and my specific situation to you as a test box for you if need any help to troubleshoot the issue with IMFD 5.1j and k.

You and I have worked together before and I can say that it was a complete pleasure to work with such a gifted developer such as you sir.

WE ALL should be very very thankfull to Jarmo, other developers, and these forums for this priceless face to face and unique ability to address development issues with the authors (especially Jarmo) and see such a fast responce time of actually fixing the issues at hand in such a timely manor. Many thanks to you and all developers of these wonderfull add-ons for your time and your dedication to sustaining a workable useage situation with the fantastic addons we all NEED to enjoy and study this great space model we call Orbiter.

NOWHERE else not even in the original Orbiter Forums do we find such a straight forward responce with the authors and developers of these add-ons.

I would submit that ONLY at Orbiter-Forum - Powered by vBulletin do we see such an excellent rapore with developers and thier immediate responce times that are un-heard of in the development industry.

Many Many many thanks to you Jarmo for your quick responce to this immediate issue that faced your end-user base. You have our support and loyalty if you should ever need more than just reporting problems and such as our help and support of your excellent work.

Let me know what I can do to help and I will be there for your development and comaradic needs sir.

Your partner in crime,
Adam R.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We need to find out why 5.1k did not work otherwice IMFD 5.1h will be the last one ever made.

Here is new version to test http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/IMFD51k2.zip

It's created with little different build options.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Ok Great!!

Ok Great!!

Im on it. Thanks Jarmo. I will test it and post my results here in this thread. Check it out guys. Then post here so we can get a workable IMFD new version out to the public.

Im on it.

Heywood

Pardon by my spanglish
Reaction score
After investigating this issue little more. Yes, I suppose that's the one needed.

Could someone verify that it's working or not working after installing this package.

Verified with Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) and with Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022; it does not work with none.

Heywood

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It runs fine in my computer. :compbash: Is there anyone who can run IMFD 5.1k in Orbiter 2006-P1 ?

I could downgrade the development environment back to VC++ 6.0 but that won't take very far. I suppose next orbiter release will make 6.0 obsollete.

Heywood

Pardon by my spanglish
Reaction score
It is very strange; I have 2 PC, both with Windows XP Service pack 3; in one it works fine and in the another not. ¿? :hmm:

Heywood

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
On my PC (Vista) it works, Could it have something to do with the development tools that you have used (eg package sdk)?

Also 'j' and 'k' have been the 1st releases that update the version number on the mfd since 'd'

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is very strange; I have 2 PC, both with Windows XP Service pack 3; in one it works fine and in the another not. ¿? :hmm:

Heywood

That's very strange in-deed. The file that is required by IMFD5.1k is msvcr80.dll and the file version should be 8.0.50727.762 it's located somewhere in a WINDOWS folder. Should be easy to spot with search tool. Does this file exist in both computers.

The version number of the old file is 8.0.50727.42