Improving OrbiterWiki

MikeB

Reaction score
This is meant as a quick-start for people who want to improve OrbiterWiki, but don't have experience using a wiki.

1. Register as an OrbiterWiki user: https://www.orbiterwiki.org/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup
This isn't strictly necessary, but it might be useful to use the same user name you use for Orbiter Forum.

2. Go to a page that you are interested in, and might like to edit. For this guide, start with Chapter 2 of Go Play In Space: https://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/GPIS_2:_Smack!_Rescue

3. Near the top are three tabs: Read, Edit, View history. Click on Edit. You will see a large text box containing the "code" for the page. A lot of it is plain text, and you can easily correct typos or add text to paragraphs by simply typing. Other text is enclosed in square brackets or curly braces, [] or {}; or set off by special characters, such as == or *. These instruct the wiki engine to apply special formatting or other features of the wiki.

4. Whenever you edit a page, you should add a comment in the Summary box, so other editors can understand what you did and why. It's a good idea to click the Show Preview button before committing the change. (Of course, if you save a change and decide it should be changed, just repeat the steps.)

5. (minimal formatting tips) To create a new section on the page, enclose the text of the section title within two sets of two equal signs, == ==, then type the text of the new section. To insert a link to a new page, enclose the new page's title in double brackets, [[ ]]. When you preview the page you will see the page title in red text, indicating a link to a page that doesn't yet exist. You can save your changes with that red-text link.

6. Clicking on a red-text link opens the editor for a new page with the title you used in the link. You can type your new page, preview, and save just as with minor changes to a page.

7. You will probably want to learn more about wiki formatting markup. Near the bottom of the page is a link to Editing Help, provided by the MediaWiki people, who created the wiki engine.

Good luck!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To prevent annoying conflicts with our spam filter, don't add links to external websites as your first edit. Start slow. Should you still get banned automatically by it, just drop me a PM, I'll review it then.

I still keep a RSS feed running here, but I don't look at it every day.