In The Shadow Of The Moon - More4

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Did anyone see the documentary entitled "In The Shadow Of The Moon" last night on More4 (in the UK), from 21:20 to about 23:20? I finished watching it this morning, and it was very interesting, with some unique NASA fottage. Pretty much all the Apollo astronauts were on (except Neil Armstrong), and they were giving their own opinions of the various stages of their missions, and telling the stories in their own eyes.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I have this on DVD - it is very good viewing! :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I prefer this myself.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent-Desolation-Walking-Moon-Region/dp/B000V7O0DU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258900494&sr=8-2"]Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon DVD 2005 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: John Corbett, Bryan Cranston, Matt Damon, Scott Glenn, Bill Paxton, Kevin Pollak, Peter Scolari, John Travolta, Rita Wilson, Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks, Tim Matheson, Paul Newman, Gary Sinise, Matthew McConaughey, Sean MacLeod Phillips, James Newton Howard, Blake Neely, Mark Cowen, William Schinski: DVD[/ame]

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Old. I've seen it about 10 times already. Meanwhile I prefer When we left Earth. It covers the entire NASA era in about 5 hours I think (which I've also seen many times already). For those who like the music of When we left Earth (by Richard Blair Oliphant), there is an upcoming home page: http://www.richardblairoliphant.com/

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Magnificent-Desolation-Walking-Moon-Region
Yes, that's a good one. A pity they don't show it any more in my local IMAX theatre - looks like some new disaster movie and acid-driven cartoons give them more revenue.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw it back in 2007 when it was released to a limited number of theatres in the US. I hunted it down on the net and found the obscure, second-run movie theatre it was playing at. Pretty cool, although I was hoping for some more footage of the lunar surface. The send-off for the Saturn V was pretty good.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Old. I've seen it about 10 times already. Meanwhile I prefer When we left Earth. It covers the entire NASA era in about 5 hours I think (which I've also seen many times already). For those who like the music of When we left Earth (by Richard Blair Oliphant), there is an upcoming home page: http://www.richardblairoliphant.com/

Good music at that link, thanks!

Ark

Reaction score
I've got a 720p blu-ray copy sitting around my harddrive somewhere. Good stuff.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
In the Shadow of the Moon and When We Left Earth kinda blend together for me (I first saw them both at about the same time. I really enjoyed both.
Shadow has one of the coolest Apollo shots I've ever seen. I starts with a close-up of a technician turning a wrench. The camera pulls bach and slowly reveals that he is buried amonst the 5 F-1 engines on the S-IC 1st stage. By the time the frame is wide enough to reveal all 5 engine bells, the tech has all but dissapeared.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I remember that scene too - that was brilliant. I also liked the first steps from what appeared to be the LM door, too.

Unstung

Reaction score
I saw In the Shadow of the Moon when it came out in theaters here, but don't remember it.