Hardware Intel Graphics Card - Laptop

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I have an HP laptop that I'm fairly happy with. (Could use some more memory, but that's fixable, and another story all together. :p) However, the internal graphics card does NOT support local light sources.

Short of replacing the card (if it's even possible on a laptop), is there any way to update/upgrade to allow local light sources? I really miss that capability in Orbiter, as it makes for AWESOME screenshots. :)

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Short of replacing the card (if it's even possible on a laptop), is there any way to update/upgrade to allow local light sources?

Add "MaxLights = <max_number_of_lights>" configuration option to Orbiter.cfg and enable local light sources. You may also need change the EchoAllParams to TRUE if the MaxLights option is reset.

MaxLights = 8 is the number of lights which are accelerated when hardware supports Transform & Lighting, so usually there's no reason to put there a higher number.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Short of replacing the card (if it's even possible on a laptop)
This is not really a thing, btw. If you'd have the capability to change graphics card (integrated would be a hint it is not) you would know. Your nose would probably still be bleeding.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Add "MaxLights = <max_number_of_lights>" configuration option to Orbiter.cfg and enable local light sources. You may also need change the EchoAllParams to TRUE if the MaxLights option is reset.

MaxLights = 8 is the number of lights which are accelerated when hardware supports Transform & Lighting, so usually there's no reason to put there a higher number.

Just gave this a whirl...
Instant CTD. Still not working.