O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Greetings Orbinauts.

We've implemented a new feature for accessing the forum from your mobile device. Tapatalk is the app you will have to install on your device. The old mobile skin is still used when visiting the forum from the browser on any mobile device, but if using the Tapatalk app you will see its interface.

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone / Android / BlackBerry and soon to be on Nokia. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps. At this time, unfortunately the projects and blogs may not be accessible using Tapatalk as they are not part of the default forum software.

Notice: It is free to download and install Tapatalk, but if you want to have full access so you can post on the forum and more, then there is a small fee. *Orbiter-Forum is in no way associated with Tapatalk, nor the sales of any app for any device.

Tapatalk for iPhone:
Showing New and Unread Posts:
IMG_0036.png

Full Thread Viewing and Pagination Support:
IMG_0037.png

See Who's Online:
IMG_0038.png

Reply to Post and Image Upload:
IMG_0041.png

Some of the large forums activated Tapatalk support
IMG_0042.png

Tapatalk for Android

Total Android Look and Feel
main.png

Same feature set as iPhone:
threadmenu.png

Quickly Reply to a conversation:
thread_bottom_menu.png

Latest and Unread Posts indicator and multi-tabs support:
latest-v.png

Full screen image support - support landscape mode also
imageview.png

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Confirming this is pretty awesome. The Android version is a definitive improvement over the mobile theme.

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Is there a way to make it NOT add that^ to every post?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Confirming this is pretty awesome. The Android version is a definitive improvement over the mobile theme.

Thanks for the update!

I'm sure there is as I've seen other users on other forums posting without that sig. Perhaps its an option within the app on your device?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!

I'm sure there is as I've seen other users on other forums posting without that sig. Perhaps its an option within the app on your device?
Menu(button)->Settings->Tapatalk Signiture
(I'm using MyTouch 3G Slide with the Demo version and that's where it is)

Interesting app, but I only ever get free apps. :p So, I'll stick to the mobile site or full site more than likely.

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

It is added to the post text by Tapatalk, ie, it is not an O-F signature. Apparently there is a setting to turn it off though: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/100055-change-signature-my-taptalk-pro.html#post930720
Go to the main page of tapatalk - > menu - > settings - > make sure "custom" is marked - > click the "customize" button - > customize it - > click ok...
EDIT: Thanks Quick_Nick. I shouldn't allow others to interrupt me while posting :)

SHADO

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
more orbiter less work ... great

Now I can keep upto date with orbiter while I am away from my desk.

Orbiter 16 hours aday. Can you get sleep training in orbiter?:goodnight:

Cerebus

Lurking
Donator
Reaction score
Yay! Been a fan of tapatalk for some time, and logged on tonight to request adding tapatalk, I'll just go find my tinfoil had now :)

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk ( couldn't resist using that, turned off for the future ).

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Glad to hear all is well with it thus far. I have a Blackberry and was able to get it working partially, but it looks like its a lot better on the iPhone and Android.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I have yet to test it with my iPhone, but for a brief period I was getting the full browser version of OF in browser. It was awesome. Alas, it is back to normal, so I will soon be getting this app.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I have yet to test it with my iPhone, but for a brief period I was getting the full browser version of OF in browser. It was awesome. Alas, it is back to normal, so I will soon be getting this app.

Yes, but the default skin is not at all optimized for a mobile device. This leads to slower loading pages, a lot of scrolling and pages clipped off (depending which device you're using).

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
True, true. I just got excited when I saw it- I didn't think about downsides :p.

On a side note, I am browsing via Taptalk right now, and everything seems A-Ok. It is a much better experience overall. On a side-side note, I can't find a way to access blog posts from the app, but its no biggie, I can always go into safari to do that.

Please pardon any obnoxious 'Sent from my iPhone' sig that may follow.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yea, per my first post:

At this time, unfortunately the projects and blogs may not be accessible using Tapatalk as they are not part of the default forum software.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Gah! I was caught not reading the first post! I will now shuffle away from myself as to avoid embarrasing myself further.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've just updated this app to the latest version which now supports iPad. It still supports iPhone, Android, etc, but I have no way of testing those so if any of our members who use this app could tell me if it is still working as expected, I'd surely appreciate the feedback. Thanks! :cheers:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good app now i dont have to use mobile orbitforum

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Notice: It is free to download and install Tapatalk, but if you want to have full access so you can post on the forum and more, then there is a small fee.

No...it isn't free. I just logged into Apple's App Store. The only version of Tapatalk available is for the modest fee of $2.99.

OBTW, if the app runs on an iPhone, chances are good in will run on a iPod touch, 3rd G or 4th G.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
No...it isn't free. I just logged into Apple's App Store. The only version of Tapatalk available is for the modest fee of $2.99.
Thanks for the heads-up. It was free, but it looks like free versions are now only available for BlackBerry and Nokia. Everyone else gets to pay.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One related question - i thought there was a web browser on iPad/iPhone?
If yes, then what this app is all about?
If no, then what is the i* thing for?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
One related question - i thought there was a web browser on iPad/iPhone?
There is. You would use Tapatalk because it is more suited to a small screen and currently our forum forces mobile devices to use a rather limited mobile skin (I'm working on a hack for that to enable users to select a regular skin).

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Strange. I often browse OF through Opera mobile and it works nicely, even on a 800x480 screen.