Iron Hill Project Thread

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With the return of Odyssey, I am officially announcing the creation of my new VSA: Real Time Incorporated. This company is dedicated to the conduct of translunar and interplanetary missions without time compression.
(...)
Mojoey, RickD, Felipi1205, Sorindafabico, Astrosammy, Indy91, BruceJohnJennerLawson, SolarLiner, Tacolev, Rtyh-12, Samuel Edwards, Athena

At the moment, available teams are Trajectory planning, Flight crew, and Public Relations. A sign-up thread will also be created:)

I want all :p But since Traj. Plnning is asked by sorindafabico, I want the rest ^^

Wait, a sign-up thread will be created. I'll wait !

Anyway, I am some 30 days far from MeE, so I will have time to think about a place in a VSA ...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
More than one person can be on a given team, you know;)

When I first read Sorindafabico's post, I thought "Huh? What's he talking about?"
My jaw dropped when I realized what happened:

I aimed our insertion for the wrong side of the planet:cry:
Holy flaming goat balls! How could I have missed that?:facepalm:
We're going to be in a real pickle if Chronus doesn't have the delta-V for a retrograde rendezvous:(

Let's go with the second March 7 window.

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
We're going to be in a real pickle if Chronus doesn't have the delta-V for a retrograde rendezvous:(

Let's go with the second March 7 window.

About 400m/s more delta-v, since we will launch from east to west, but the XR5 has more than enough fuel for the mission.

One thing to ask: please change the focus to some vessel in solar orbit or on the ground before saving state (cockpit view, if possible). My PC doesn't handle well accelerations > 100x in low planetary/lunar orbits and RTU passes this rate when warping time.

Oh, and I forgot to post the state with Chronus refuelled:

Attachments

• IHP_Chronus_refuel.scn
    19.5 KB · Views: 4

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
About 400m/s more delta-v, since we will launch from east to west, but the XR5 has more than enough fuel for the mission.
Thank goodness:)

One thing to ask: please change the focus to some vessel in solar orbit or on the ground before saving state (cockpit view, if possible). My PC doesn't handle well accelerations > 100x in low planetary/lunar orbits and RTU passes this rate when warping time.
Will do;) I'm also finding that Orulex and RTU don't play well together. When I pulled up the scenario after the time-warp catchup in LEO, Chronus ended up in the middle of the ocean:blink:

Good luck tomorrow:)

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

An idea: what about the purchase of a Ravenstar or even a XR1 to do this kind (crew-only) of flight?
It's something to think about. We could even use a Soyuz for something that simple:)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank goodness:)

Will do;) I'm also finding that Orulex and RTU don't play well together. When I pulled up the scenario after the time-warp catchup in LEO, Chronus ended up in the middle of the ocean:blink:

Good luck tomorrow:)

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

It's something to think about. We could even use a Soyuz for something that simple:)

Orulex itself, or a collisions module for it? Orulex on its own shouldnt cause any problems, but I can easily imagine a collisions module having a fit over RTU. Just deactivate in that case :thumbup:

I think an XR2 would be highly appropriate in this case, no cargo transfer needed save for any rock samples. Ive never heard of a UMMU Soyuz unfortunately.

And, just to be a pain, sorindafabico please don't feel any pressure not to mess up. Its only a years worth of work on the line.

Just kidding ;) Im sure everything will work out great :thumbup:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Orulex itself, or a collisions module for it?
Orulex itself--sort of. The terrain loading causes a massive lag spike that does weird things to everything. Very bad when RTU is in play. I hope all the base modules are still in place when you guys get to Mercury:shifty:

I think an XR2 would be highly appropriate in this case, no cargo transfer needed save for any rock samples. Ive never heard of a UMMU Soyuz unfortunately.
Alright, XR-2 it is...for the next flight, which I believe will be the one that brings you home in...let me see:hmm:...September, I think:)

And, just to be a pain, sorindafabico please don't feel any pressure not to mess up. Its only a years worth of work on the line.
That's cruel, but it's a very good point:lol:

---------- Post added 03-07-13 at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-06-13 at 09:06 PM ----------

When the A-Crew gets back to Wideawake, I'd like us to have a decomissioning ceremony of some sort for Odyssey, since I'm planning to trade her for an Arrow II. Some possiblities:

1) Deorbit her by remote and burn her up in the atmosphere

2) Send her into the sun

3) Send her on a solar escape trajectory and let her become the first manmade object to reach Sirius:thumbup:

Any other ideas?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let her become the first manmade object to reach Sirius. That would be another odyssey for her ...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[/COLOR]When the A-Crew gets back to Wideawake, I'd like us to have a decomissioning ceremony of some sort for Odyssey, since I'm planning to trade her for an Arrow II. Some possiblities:

1) Deorbit her by remote and burn her up in the atmosphere

2) Send her into the sun

3) Send her on a solar escape trajectory and let her become the first manmade object to reach Sirius:thumbup:

Any other ideas?

I thought she was going to be refitted to the Arrow Mk II configuration. That would be my vote, but it is going to be tough to get her back into a prograde orbit around Earth.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
How could I have forgotten that? :facepalm:
Ayup:yes: That'll require her to put down at Brighton and stay there for at least a couple of weeks.

After that, I suppose she'll be Odyssey II, or maybe Journey.

Journey. I like that name:hmm:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After that, I suppose she'll be Odyssey II, or maybe Journey.

I think the name Odyssey will become a legend among Orbinauts. Years from now they will look back on this & say "The probe smiled on them, my friends" :lol:

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Let her become the first manmade object to reach Sirius. [2]

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

About the Chronus flight: I never performed a retrograde reentry before. I ask some time to practice before the flight. Has the crew enough supplies for a few days?

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

but it is going to be tough to get her back into a prograde orbit around Earth.
Send her to a free return flight to the Moon.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Even though I've never been a part of this venture (besides following it when I can), I've got an idea I'd like to nominate for Journey's shipboard motto:

Don't Stop Believing.

Any thoughts?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I vote for refitting Odyssey into an Arrow Mk II, or [3] letting it become the first manmade object to Sirius if that's not possible (though I think a free return flight would work in this case).

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Has the crew enough supplies for a few days?
We do:yes: (and yeah, I really like that smiley:)) We're getting a little antsy up here, with home so close, and yet so far:lol: But we can hang on for a few more days;)

Send her to a free return flight to the Moon.
Now that idea I like:) I actually considered it, but in fact she would need to land on the moon anyhow, to do the refit.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Even though I've never been a part of this venture (besides following it when I can), I've got an idea I'd like to nominate for Journey's shipboard motto:

Don't Stop Believing.

Any thoughts?
Good one, grasshopper!:rofl:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Retrograde and prograde reentry are very similar. I did a test with ReA 1.5, Ant 40, Alt 120 in BaseSync (XR5 total mass about 310 tons; 300 km circular orbit) and it was VERY smooth.

My main problem is in the launch. The windows are when I'm sleeping or at university (I began a graduation in astrophysics this week). I can't do it before weekend, so, if this is delaying the mission, I have no problem to change the command of this flight to a backup pilot (but I would be happy if my ummu can be there).

Last edited: