Question Is it possible in reality?

Nithrer

Reaction score
Hi,
First thing that i wanted to say: this is my very post in the orbiter forum, so i excuse in advance if i am little nooby with some therms and game mechanics :)
With that said, there's my question:
I was playing around with the Arrow until i wondered if it could do a orbital launch (to launch a ship from the arrow) of the DGIV into the atmosphere, so i transfered some crew, made a Retro burn so the orbit would touch the upper level of the atmosphere, and at the right time i launched the DGIV. In the first couple of tries i always had too much accelleration so i heated too much, until i found the right velocity and orbit intersection and managed to get to the surface. Could this be a realistic thing to do when you have a mothership in LEO and you would want to land a crew into the planet?

hribek

Reaction score
The most efficient way would be to just undock the DGIV and deorbit it by itself. Altering the Arrow's orbit for this purpose wastes fuel and energy. Plus the DGIV only requires a really small burn to deorbit it and can launch with almost empty tanks.