Programming Question is there a maximum texture size for dds on standard objects?

bimmo

orbiting since 2000
Reaction score
Hello,I'm trying to apply a custom texture to a BLOCK object in a custom base.cfg

I created a custom object texture, size is 256x256 pixels, after converting with DxTex, format is DXT1.

Windows explorer displays the thumbnail of this image just fine.

However, no matter how I try, the texture is not displayed on the BLOCK object inside Orbiter.

It appears to me that all the standard textures for BLOCK objects (like Fdc01.dds and so on) are 32x32 pixels. Is this the max size for a dds for a BLOCK object maybe?

Thanks, Bimmo

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello,I'm trying to apply a custom texture to a BLOCK object in a custom base.cfg

I created a custom object texture, size is 256x256 pixels, after converting with DxTex, format is DXT1.

Windows explorer displays the thumbnail of this image just fine.

However, no matter how I try, the texture is not displayed on the BLOCK object inside Orbiter.

It appears to me that all the standard textures for BLOCK objects (like Fdc01.dds and so on) are 32x32 pixels. Is this the max size for a dds for a BLOCK object maybe?

Thanks, Bimmo
You need to add the name of your texture to file named "base.cfg" which can be found in the Config subfolder. Unless you do this, your texture won't be recognized and loaded.

bimmo

orbiting since 2000
Reaction score
thanks DaveS, do you mean, I need to add it to my base config file I created for my base? (which is named lunarbase.cfg), or, I should create the exact named file: "base.cfg" and add my texture name in there?

if the former, here are the relevant lines in my current lunarbase.cfg:

BLOCK
POS 0 0 0
SCALE 20 5 20
TEX1 lunarhq 1 1
TEX2 lunarhq 1 1
TEX3 Roof01 1 1
END

but again, if this is all I have to do, I did, and the BLOCK object has no textures displayed when running in Orbiter...

thanks

Marijn

Reaction score
There is a file named Base.cfg in the Config folder. Nest your entry between the others..
Code:
; === List of generic textures ===
BEGIN_TEXTURES
Fcd01
Fcd02
Fcd03
Fcd04
Fcd05
Fcd06
Fcd07
Fcd08
Fcd09
Fcd10
Fcd11
Fcd12
Fcd13
Fcd14
Fcd15
Roof01
Roof02
Wall01
Door01
Lpad01
Lpad02
Lpad02a
Taxiway1
Taxiway2
Monorail
Hangrail
Solpanel
Runway2
Ball
Cape17
Cape18
Cape19
Cape20
Cape21
Cape22
Cape23
Concrete1
END_TEXTURES

bimmo

orbiting since 2000
Reaction score
Doh, upon reading both of your replies once again, I just realized that this Base.cfg already exists in the Config folder (I was looking in Earth/Base...)

So now that I added the texture name as suggested, it works, thanks!!