its time to play, hurricane preparedness drills.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Best wishes, and my prayers are with all of you in Ike's path.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the best wishes all.

I am on the North West side of Houston now, outside Beltway 8. Should be safe from storm surge, will get windy here, but I'm mostly worried about my house in Clear Lake flooding. It's not looking too good. I may not have power after tonight, just checking in. Good luck to all the folks getting hit by this thing.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks for the best wishes all.

I am on the North West side of Houston now, outside Beltway 8. Should be safe from storm surge, will get windy here, but I'm mostly worried about my house in Clear Lake flooding. It's not looking too good. I may not have power after tonight, just checking in. Good luck to all the folks getting hit by this thing.

I really do, the Galveston hurricane in 1900 had 15 foot storm surge as it hit Galveston. 20,000 people are staying for Ike, and Ike has 25 Foot storm surge. That's going to fly right over their levee's by about 10 feet give or take. Best of lucks to you and everyone in the way of this potentially Catastrophic storm.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Oh noes! Ike is trying to destroy the leader of our community and take over! Everyone! We must troll anyone with the username Ike!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Me and my brother are at present working on clearing away any leaves, sticks and debris that might reduce the capacity of our lawn drainage system. Dallas is expecting 2" of rain per hour from sometime tonight until tommorow afternoon, along with up to 55 mph winds. Loss of power is a possibility. Oh boy.

Well, at least we got our drains fixed before it all blew in.

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
Ike's northeast edge is going over me right now. Occasional squalls and constant tornado watches have been the order of the day. My electricity, which is still held together by tape and bailing wire from Gustav, has gone out several times today.

And the fun's just beginning. Depending on exactly when Ike decides to hang the right turn, I could get nothing or a whole lot. But one thing's for sure--this is really going to suck for the Houston/Galveston area. Best of luck down there.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Out here on the far west side of town it's currently dead calm and we've had only a few relatively light wind squalls and almost no rain. Based on work I did in the aftermath of Frances, I know that THE crucial factor for flooding in the most populous parts of Houston and the highly urbanized core inside the Loop is whether the storm passes east or west of the center of town. All of the drainage in the over-all urban Houston area is from NW to SE. If the upper drainage area gets the very high rainfall that would come with a passage on the west side, then it'll be water, water everywhere. But if the center of the storm passes even a little east of that center line, things will not be that bad at all.

T-about 10 hours till we know that for sure ...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Baytown and Galveston have been flooding even well before the storm ever touched land. Everyone in Galveston is actually trapped and surely regretting their decisions. There is not one part of Galveston that isn't covered with some amount of flooding. This storm has so far been worse than ever expected and worse than any storm we've had in a LONG time. Even areas well inland are expected to recieve some flooding. Parts of Houston are under mandantory evacuation. There's currently a large fire in Galveston at a boat storage building. I'm some distance inland, about 30 miles from Baytown, but there's still a tall tree here that will almost definitely fall... we're just hoping it doesn't fall on the house. (it's leaning parallel with, not towards, the house) I'm amazed at the flooding that is already in Baytown. Officials have been quoted as saying 'leave now or face CERTAIN death', even this morning.
Bad, bad, storm.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Extremely bad now in Galveston, the NHC came out and told them if you stay you face CERTAIN DEATH, and if your at the beach in 'Hurricane Party's, the mayor said to right your Social Security number's on your Shirt with a Sharpy so they can Identify their body when their dead.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Winds gusting up pretty high out here. Had a couple of power interrupts. Time to rock and roll ...
Careful there, Greg. We need you here. ;)

I wouldn't be anxious about your home, Tex. There's really nothing you can do at this point, and worrying won't do you any good. Just hope for the best, my man.

You are all in my prayers. God-speed and good luck.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
It's time to play let's screw everyone by jacking the price of gas up to $5 a gallon

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's time to play let's screw everyone by jacking the price of gas up to $5 a gallon

That's nothing... Here in my region of Québec these :censored: :censored: :censored: sons of :censored: raised it from 1.33$ to 1.49$ a liter (about 6$ US a gal) this afternoon...

These :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: had the nuts to pull off this stunt by saying that with the disruptions in the Gulf, bla bla bla... :blink:

Then why the :censored: has oil gone DOWN for this week, and besides, anyone care to tell these profiting :censored: that refined gasoline seldom goes across the US-Canada border...:mad:

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Oh dear mother of Christ.

The first info of this monster's existence has just hit Australian television (or, at least, Victorian televisions on channel 9).

I'm speechless. Please, guys, don't tell me that any of you guys are still at home, preparing. Please.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
James, I highly doubt the news in Oz is accurate ;)

Reaction score
my house is getting hit hard... But last thing I was told was that we still had power... o_O

Hard to believe that, but I really haven't been anywhere near Katy. I wouldn't know.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Not hearing good news from Galveston, Lake Charles, ect, bad flooding.