its time to play, hurricane preparedness drills.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Official News; Ike is now the Third most costly Hurricane to hit the United States, only behind Andrew and Katrina, it beat out Wilma, Charley, Gustav.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Official News; Ike is now the Third most costly Hurricane to hit the United States, only behind Andrew and Katrina, it beat out Wilma, Charley, Gustav.
Interesting, Ike wasn't even that powerful compared to Andrew and Katrina. It was, however, very fat. ;)

I'm glad everything is ok, Tex. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the CEO of Burchismo Aerospace, who is doubtless having a keg party in his storm shelter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think, the biggest problem in the costs is, where it hit. Houston does rarely get Hurricanes at all and is a pretty expensive target.

I don't want to imagine the damage, if a similar hurricane would have hit Corpus Christi.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Interesting, Ike wasn't even that powerful compared to Andrew and Katrina. It was, however, very fat. ;)

I'm glad everything is ok, Tex. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the CEO of Burchismo Aerospace, who is doubtless having a keg party in his storm shelter.

Actually, Ike was nearly as powerful as Andrew and Katrina, not wind speed's or anything like that (However Ike did become a Category 4/5 Hurricane a week ago.) Storm Surge wise because Ike was so slow moving and big, it had storm surge worse than Katrina.

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
Actually, Ike was nearly as powerful as Andrew and Katrina, not wind speed's or anything like that (However Ike did become a Category 4/5 Hurricane a week ago.) Storm Surge wise because Ike was so slow moving and big, it had storm surge worse than Katrina.

Bingo. Gustav was the strongest storm to hit Lousy Anna since they've been naming them (which is saying a LOT), and it really screwed this place up. I live a long way from the coast on high ground and I was without power for over a week due to Gustav. The damage around here is worse than Andrew, the worst I've seen in my lifetime of 45 years. I shudder to think of what carnage Gustav caused in south-central Lousy Anna, closer to the coast. Plenty of people live down there, but there aren't any big cities to watch die so the media doesn't care, and thus nobody outside the immediate area knows the full extent. On the media coverage thing, it's just like Rita--forgotten already, despite being quite "Biblical" at its point of impact.

Despite all this, relatively weak but big and slow Ike hit a densely populated area. Thus, Ike's damage is considerably higher than Gustav's in dollars and number of people nuked into the pre-industrial age. And the media is there for that reason, which means that nobody outside Lousy Anna cares any more about the thousands of poor Cajuns still without power 2 weeks after Gustav.

None of this is any skin off my own nose. I've had power intermittantly for a week now, and my local businesses are open again. Apart from having a weekend chainsaw hobby that'll last until at least Xmas I'm OK. And of course thousands more people got hosed in Texas by Ike than did in Lousy Anna by Gustav. I still say, however, that Lousy Anna's damage from Gustav was considerably worse than Texas' from Ike, especially on a per capita basis. Something like 80% of the people in the whole state were without electricity for at least several days, and a pretty high number still are. But just watch how this all gets spun for contemporary outside consumption and for future slogans.

Word of advice: if you have to live in a hurricane area, live in a big city. That way, when the worst happens, you'll be fixed much quicker and will get more care packages from outside, due the media focusing on the damage to big cities.

OWSweather

Reaction score
What happened was Ike's surface pressure dropped so low and the winds did not catch up to the pressure's readings. This, and the eye shut did not let Ike vent so the energy kept inside him, 30% more than Katrina. I.K.E. Integrated Kinetic Energy and drove it into the ocean.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
To people there, how are things?

N.

Reaction score
Wow... all of my friends have damaged roofs. But I'm all good, except the window that overlooks my computer, I dunno, maybe its an improvement!

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
Things are okay here in San Antonio, sorta close to the coast, however close enough to have felt an impact.

Took a beating when it came to rain, high amount of rain and wind, but no reported damage.

My brother on the other hand, his house in La Porte, TX (exactly on the coast) took a major beating, but it is in one piece. Including the roof and backyard, all his trees are blown to smithereens, but it seems to be okay.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
3 Miles NW of JSC in Clear Lake City area of Houston (manditory evacuation fearing possible catastrophic storm surge).

We got back Sunday and found lots of limbs down all around us, traffic systems are hopeless. Texans are having to relearn how to take turns :) Signs twisted 45 degrees, one huge concrete and steel tower for traffic lights is actually twisted 45 degrees also, somehow. Some roofs damaged here and there, some heavy.

For us, three brothers-in-law came over after doing their repairs and helped us clear out stacks and stacks of brush. No damage to the house, and not one board of damage to the 100 foot fence my wife spent all last week painting ;) even though about half the fences around us are down. We were very very lucky and thankful. Power back here only 3 days later is the last big thing we needed to be basically back to normal, except for iffy public water. Oh, and the swimming pool I'm still trying to resuscitate from being filled with leaves, large branches and about 1.2 million pecan nuts.

JSC has power and water as of today, I think, and is still doing building assessments. They hope to open Monday.
http://www.nasa.gov/offices/eoc/home/index.html