IUS 1.0 Development

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Fine for me. Can you also include an option to reduce the number of batteries and RCS fuel tanks?

Ok, I'll just have to find the mass of the batteries for that option to have any effect. On the RCS tanks, I don't remember if we are using 2 or 3 ATM.... have to find that out as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, I'll just have to find the mass of the batteries for that option to have any effect. On the RCS tanks, I don't remember if we are using 2 or 3 ATM.... have to find that out as well.

I am also not sure. I remember that the IUS had a lot of tuning options, though less than the later Centaurs.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I have found a procedure fault with the umbilical release. Currently you need to enable the a pyro bus in order to release the umbilical boom from the IUS. I have gone over the STS-93 IUS Deploy FDF procedures for umbilical boom release several times and I can't find any mention of the pyro bus switches until DEPLOY IUS (5-9).

So this needs to be changed.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I think I have found a procedure fault with the umbilical release. Currently you need to enable the a pyro bus in order to release the umbilical boom from the IUS. I have gone over the STS-93 IUS Deploy FDF procedures for umbilical boom release several times and I can't find any mention of the pyro bus switches until DEPLOY IUS (5-9).

So this needs to be changed.

I'll fix that and a few more things later today or tomorrow.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another procedure item concerns the Payload Retention Latch Actuators (PRLAs). For the IUS missions, these were mounted on the FWD ASE Frame and secured the FWD half of the IUS for launch/eventual landing pre-deploy. Currently we can tilt the IUS up with the Aft Tilt Table without ever releasing the PRLAs. Could this be implemented, that you have to release the PRLAs before tilting the IUS up? This is true for the Centaurs as well, but in their cases the PRLAs were mounted on standard longeron bridge panels.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Another procedure item concerns the Payload Retention Latch Actuators (PRLAs). For the IUS missions, these were mounted on the FWD ASE Frame and secured the FWD half of the IUS for launch/eventual landing pre-deploy. Currently we can tilt the IUS up with the Aft Tilt Table without ever releasing the PRLAs. Could this be implemented, that you have to release the PRLAs before tilting the IUS up? This is true for the Centaurs as well, but in their cases the PRLAs were mounted on standard longeron bridge panels.

I've thought about that as well... but I still didn't figure out anything. :uhh:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have checked in an Standard Switch Panel for the IUS, configured as shown on page 2-10 of the STS-93 IUS Deploy FDF. There's a graphic of a second SSP shown there but it appears to be AXAF-specific and wasn't flown on all IUS missions.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have checked in an Standard Switch Panel for the IUS, configured as shown on page 2-10 of the STS-93 IUS Deploy FDF. There's a graphic of a second SSP shown there but it appears to be AXAF-specific and wasn't flown on all IUS missions.

I'll have to see what it does to give it use... but anyway, panel L12U seems to be a good candidate to develop/test multiple panel versions (Centaur and now IUS).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll have to see what it does to give it use... but anyway, panel L12U seems to be a good candidate to develop/test multiple panel versions (Centaur and now IUS).
From what I can gather, it has switches for the AFTA pri/alt actuators as well the IUS RF antennas.