IUS 1.0 Development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you show a screenshot of how things looks like with the new method (if there's any change)?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Could you show a screenshot of how things looks like with the new method (if there's any change)?

Here you go. Visually it looks the same (maybe a bit better due to the higher resolution of the talkback texture).
I had to change the UVs in the mesh to get the talkback groups of R13L to target the barberpole area. Here's how it is:
Code:
LABEL R13talk2
MATERIAL 3
TEXTURE 14
GEOM 4 2 ;Group 753 (R13talk2) SSU/talkback.dds ac3dmat1
 1.2245  2.22849  12.4635 -.548087  .836421  0  0  0
 1.21806  2.22427  12.4635 -.548087  .836421  0  0  .137255
 1.21806  2.22427  12.4497 -.548087  .836421  0  .247059  .137255
 1.2245  2.22849  12.4497 -.548087  .836421  0  .247059  0
 3  2  0
 1  0  2
The UVs should be the same for all talkback groups (respecting the position of the vertices). All the rest is the same.
Right now only R13L uses the talkback.dds texture, and also it had the groups in the right place, so that was probably the easiest to "upgrade".
Both methods work side by side with no problems that I've noticed so far.
IMHO, we can also put this to work on L10 and see how it goes, and then after the release we upgrade the whole thing (maybe as part of separating the panels or something else).

Attachments

• new_talkbacks.PNG
    new_talkbacks.PNG
    248.2 KB · Views: 294

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Let me know when you're done with your changes to the IUS branch so I can get to work on the meshes/textures.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Let me know when you're done with your changes to the IUS branch so I can get to work on the meshes/textures.

It didn't look bad to need work. My only "complaint" is there's no umbilical in the ASE to animate. Also I need some info on the RCS, as the positions aren't 100% correct and it causes unwanted rotations. I'm merging the trunk to the branch right now. I'll post updates as work on this branch progresses.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It didn't look bad to need work. My only "complaint" is there's no umbilical in the ASE to animate. Also I need some info on the RCS, as the positions aren't 100% correct and it causes unwanted rotations. I'm merging the trunk to the branch right now. I'll post updates as work on this branch progresses.
Well, the dimensions are off. Also the REMs on the second stage are in the wrong locations and are straight-axis and not angled like they are now. I'm also consolidating all the IUS small individual textures into one large common master texture similar to the orbiter and Centaur/CISS.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, the dimensions are off. Also the REMs on the second stage are in the wrong locations and are straight-axis and not angled like they are now. I'm also consolidating all the IUS small individual textures into one large common master texture similar to the orbiter and Centaur/CISS.

Right now I'm only fixing the offset in the IUS attachment to the ASE and sometime today I'll commit it for the world to see.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
IT WORKS!!!!!! :hailprobe:
I've attached a picture of the 1º deployment (nevermind the position of the carina as it is using the original attachment positions so it doesn't "connect" well with the IUS).
I have real life stuff to do now, but later today I'll commit it and do a small manual on how to operate this.

Attachments

• IUS_first_deploy.PNG
    IUS_first_deploy.PNG
    159.4 KB · Views: 287

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New IUS meshes have been checked into the IUS-1.0 branch. I'll now shift my attention to making the ASE fit the new meshes.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

The updated IUS ASE mesh have been checked in.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
New IUS meshes have been checked into the IUS-1.0 branch. I'll now shift my attention to making the ASE fit the new meshes.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

The updated IUS ASE mesh have been checked in.

Could you rotate the IUS meshes 90º about the x axis? In that way the +z axis is forward. Or can I use Martin's mesh program to do the rotation?
Also, are you sure the thrusters are correct? The roll ones seem to be firing directly into the stringers...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you rotate the IUS meshes 90º about the x axis? In that way the +z axis is forward. Or can I use Martin's mesh program to do the rotation?
Also, are you sure the thrusters are correct? The roll ones seem to be firing directly into the stringers...
Everything should now be correct (rotation and REMs).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm sad to report that the pitch thrusters are way off position.
What do you mean? The pitch thrusters are not located on axis but rather 8°s off-axis. This schematic shows the locations of all the equipment inside the Equipment Support Section (ESS) of the second stage. +Z is down towards the PLB and -Z is up towards space when the IUS is horizontal in the PLB.

ESS%20STS.jpg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The pitch thrusters are not located on axis but rather 8°s off-axis.

Exactly. But they are 8º to the other direction...
BTW: the "USA" label and the flag in the first stage are also on the "wrong side".

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Exactly. But they are 8º to the other direction...
BTW: the "USA" label and the flag in the first stage are also on the "wrong side".
Could you check in your work so I can check myself. I'm doing this in the blind so I can't test things.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Could you check in your work so I can check myself. I'm doing this in the blind so I can't test things.

Give me a few more minutes to fine tune the offsets, as it all changed when the meshes changed.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

IUS committed!
Basically there are 2 positions to place the IUS (all specified in the sample mission file). The IUS payload/adapter stuff is similar to the Centaur (corrected some silly errors of the original code, must fix in Centaur as well). The deployment is very simple as there's no electrical system implemented (and no umbilical):
1) pick a speed in Tilt Table Actuator Drive Enable
2) raise tilt table with Tilt Table Actuator Motion Raise (no working talkbacks yet)
3) turn on Pyro Bus On (indicated on TB)
4) turn on IUS Deployment Enable (indicated on TB)
5) deploy IUS with IUS Deployment Deploy
6) run to the window to see it :speakcool:

Things still to do:
> improve talkback performance (the new/delete thing) and delete unnecessary stuff
> correct the RCS positions/directions in the IUS
> add animation of the struts of the EEC
> find tilt table speeds
> try to modify the Lockable Lever class to support "spring loaded" positions needed for panel L10

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I checked in what should hopefully address the pitch REM issue once and for all.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I'm not sure if this is being changed or not but the tilt table should continue the motion once the Tilt Table Actuator switch(es) have been toggled. Currently it is implemented as a dead-man switch like the Single/Direct Drive switch for the RMS.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I checked in what should hopefully address the pitch REM issue once and for all.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I'm not sure if this is being changed or not but the tilt table should continue the motion once the Tilt Table Actuator switch(es) have been toggled. Currently it is implemented as a dead-man switch like the Single/Direct Drive switch for the RMS.

It seems you are right. (I need to read more of that checklist :facepalm:)
I'll fix that and also the RCS positions soon.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here's something I thought of doing back when I was working on the Centaur, but never got around to it.
I managed to have it show up only when the IUS is in focus, but I can't find a way to hide it when in outside view... :uhh:

Attachments

• caption.jpg
    caption.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 339

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Moved those outputs to the HUD and it now only show when inside the IUS. That is now committed.
The only 2 items* remaining are the tilt table speed and a manual. On the tilt table I calculated 2 speeds based on the STS-93 checklist (0.002143 for max and 0.002016 for inter) which look ridiculously similar, so I'm reluctant to commit those numbers. About the manual I was thinking of having something integrated into the main manual: a section on upper stages containing 2 subsections for the IUS and for the Centaur. I can't work with the tex files, but I can still write something... it just has to be somebody else inserting that into the main file.

*) DaveS I see you added the umbilical plug to the IUS... is the "umbilical arm" on its way to the ASE?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Moved those outputs to the HUD and it now only show when inside the IUS. That is now committed.
The only 2 items* remaining are the tilt table speed and a manual. On the tilt table I calculated 2 speeds based on the STS-93 checklist (0.002143 for max and 0.002016 for inter) which look ridiculously similar, so I'm reluctant to commit those numbers. About the manual I was thinking of having something integrated into the main manual: a section on upper stages containing 2 subsections for the IUS and for the Centaur. I can't work with the tex files, but I can still write something... it just has to be somebody else inserting that into the main file.

*) DaveS I see you added the umbilical plug to the IUS... is the "umbilical arm" on its way to the ASE?
Yes, I'm currently researching it to see where the hinge point is.