And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...."
- John Gillespie Magee, Jr., "High Flight"

There was something in the air this day, I felt it from the moment I woke up. I knew, and even told a coworker when he asked if this would be "the flight," "Yes, I'm saying it. Today is the day."

It was hot. Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't stand this kind of hot. As I drove to the airport, I watched a roadside digital sign tick from 94 to 95°F. With the humidity, the heat index was 105°F according to the Yahoo! Weather App before I left .

I did my pre-flight walkaround, noting the weak piece of plastic around the fuel drain on the right wing was starting to split to the aft. Other than that, N9634Q looked more beautiful than she ever did. Randy and I talked a little about other pilots' mistakes, discussing the scenario first & what I would do, followed by the pilot's choice and the very unfavorable outcome. We finished our discussion as the KingAir taxied to the runway, then climbed in the cockpit and started the rest of the checklist.

About halfway through my briefing, etc, he advised me to go ahead and get it started. "I know you know how to do the briefing. You've done it since your second flight. Not trying to rush you, let's just get it started. No need to set up the GPS, we're just going to work on landings."

AWOS said winds were straight down the runway at 5, but all three wind socks said otherwise, which wasn't really a concern since they felt lighter than 5 knots.

Startup, taxi, runup were all normal, though whether or not the landing light was working is still up in the air. I called my takeoff, then brought 34Q around through the pattern and set up on final, calling that it would be a full stop. It was one of my better landings. We taxied clear of the runway then headed back out. "Alright, you give me two more landings like that and we're going to solo you tonight."

Landing 2 wasn't as good. I carried too much speed, even after touchdown. "Alright let's just go around, full power." Cleaned it up, started climbout, then called that I was touch-and-go for Two Seven.

Landing 3 was as good as the first. As I exited the runway I was expecting him to want one more good one. "Alright, take me back to the hangar, and I need to see your logbook and your medical."

An RV8 getting ready to depart asked over the radio if we were done. Randy advised I was getting ready to solo, and the RV pilot (same one I met after an earlier lesson) said he'd go flying to the north to give me plenty of time.

We taxied off to the side of the ramp away from the pumps. He reached into the back seat and got my flight bag. I handed him my logbook, then my medical for the appropriate endorsements. We had to move toward the taxiway to make way for N177JE (Citation), then he finished writing, I put everything back in my flight bag, and he climbed out.

I expected this moment to be filled with nervousness, anxiety, and tension. But it wasn't. I'd done this hundreds of times by myself at home, both in X-Plane and FSX/P3D. The one thing that did concern me was the storm clouds that appeared to be building to the Northeast. I couldn't tell if they were getting closer or moving away.

I taxied to Two Seven just as I had done dozens of times with Randy, stopped at the hold short, checked final approach, then made my radio call. Deep breath. "Moment of truth, right here" I said out loud to myself. I taxied out onto the centerline, then advanced the throttle to full,

With less weight in the plane, and a new engine, she accelerated quickly, and was ready to fly in no time. I lifted off and began my climbout. The first solo trip around the pattern was uneventful to be honest. That's not to say it was boring, but it was cut-and-dry. I lined up on final, made my full-stop radio call, and set her down for one of my best landings so far. As before, the plan was to do three full-stop landings. I taxied back, and repeated the pattern.

Landing #2 was much less graceful, but I thought I had it under control. I bounced. Not hard, but high (looking back I suspect I had help from a wind gust); high enough that I didn't feel comfortable continuing the landing, so I added some power to stay up, retracted the flaps, then added full power and called my go-around. I did everything else as usual and didn't even worry about not getting a good landing.

Landing #3 was back on-point. As I taxied off the runway Randy called over the radio and asked how the weather looked to the East. I responded that it was very cloudy. He'd been watching the weather and the radar, and said I should have time for one more if I felt like it. "Sure, I'm up for one more." I taxied back to Two-Seven, made my call, and started down the runway.

As soon as I got in the air, I was questioning my decision for a few moments. Due South of the airport, about 10-15 miles, was a dark bank of clouds and what appeared to be rain. I looked for a second, also glancing back to the Southeast, then continued my climbout, just as I had done over a hundred times before. I visually checked the clouds on downwind, but otherwise did everything just as I always had, no rushing, no pressure, just fly the plane. As I made my call on final, the RV8 called that he'd be entering midfield crosswind.

The fourth and final landing of the evening was probably the best. Everything I did looked and felt better than it had the other six times to me. I taxied off the runway, past the hold short, and called that 34Q was "clear of Two-Seven for the evening." The RV8 pilot offered his congrats over the radio, I thanked him, completed the post-landing part of the checklist, and started taxiing back to the hangar.

It was at this very moment it sank in what I had just done. The minute I started rolling after post-landing, I could not control the huge grin that came across my face.

Taxiing.webp

I'd finally arrived. After years of dreaming, hoping, waiting, wondering if it would ever happen, I just flew, and landed, myself, with no one else in the plane.

I taxied 34Q back to the DCFS hangar. Randy and his wife were there - she had been taking pictures. He pretended to marshal me in, then I turned her around and set her up so we could push back into the hangar. I proceeded with shutdown, took off my headset & seat belts, climbed out and shook Randy's hand. I had to give him a hard time. "Randy, no offense, but she flies a lot better without you in there." We had a good laugh, then took some pics with the plane before putting it in the hangar.

Handshake.webp

The RV8 owner taxied over to get fuel, and to congratulate me. "You've just opened up a whole new world of possibilities," he said as he shook my hand. "Welcome, it's great to have you."

We went upstairs to the classroom for the ceremonial cutting of my shirt tail. Unfortunately due to the heat, my shirt was too soaked to write on, so he will write all the details this week and have it ready by my next lesson.

Shirt.webp

As he cut my shirt, I couldn't help but think about the last year, and how I felt after that first flight, knowing this was the time to do this. All the delays, all the frustrations, every setback was gone in that moment, not even on my mind anymore. Afterward I also got the joy of adding my first entry into my logbook for PIC/solo time, 0.8 hrs worth.

Logbook.webp

"You've just done something that very few people ever get the chance to do. You left the earth, in a machine, by yourself. There's only 300,000 or so of us in the world right now, out of how many billion? That's something special." Indeed it is. It's all I've been able to think about the last six days.

Next Monday will be another supervised solo, two landings with Randy, two or three by myself. Then after we put the plane away, it's upstairs to plan the first cross country flight, with the intention of flying the cross country during the following lesson.

I expect to have my checkride scheduled by the end of August, though I have contingencies planned for the Medical Flight Test portion if it looks like I won't get it in before my authorization runs out. I'm no longer stressed about that part, I'll just take care of it separately if it comes down to it.

It's happening, and it's happening quickly. If all goes as it appears it will, I should be getting ready for my checkride this time next month. No doubt I'll be FULL of anxiety and nervousness for that flight.

Two Victor Uniform, clear of Two Seven.

picture.php

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Great Work! I remember on my first solo, taking off and looking to the right to check for traffic, an seeing the right seat empty; that's when it hit me that I was flying a plane by myself.

Cross Countries are the best! It's when you finally use the plane to go someplace (even if its just to another airport 50 NM away). For me, I was always looking forward to the next milestone, Solo, cross country, solo x-county. But one thing I was really looking forward for was the night flying. Truly a challenge, but some of my best landings have been at night.

Is that a C172 S model? Paint job looks fairly new. Our FBO has a couple beat up C172Ns and a P model. But they are well taken care of.

Happy Flying! :cheers:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Congratulations mate. After all that buildup, hard work, disappointment and waiting, you have more than earned it.

Keep on keeping on! I'm insanely jealous, I might have to start taking flying lessons now (though last time I suggested this to my wife she didn't seem as keen as me, for some reason).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

It's actually a 1975 C172M. Yes, the paint job is new, fresh as of April. The majority of the delays have been due to the fact they've just recently completed a nose-to-tail restoration, the final piece of which was the brand new engine. Also added were a GNS430 WAAS and CDI as well as a complete interior restoration including new seats & plastic throughout, replacing the original 70's-era orange leather door paneling, seating, and tweed-looking seat inlays (below - this is not 34Q, but this is the interior leather she used to have).

picture.php

It's a really sharp plane inside & out and much nicer for rental customers than it was previously.

Last edited:

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Wow! What does she cost per hour?

I wish we had 430s in our rental fleet. The best we have is a partly functional 155. :lol:

The planes we have for work have 430s and 530s. They are very nice to have, I've even shot a GPS approach off one this last spring in IMC. Make sure to learn to navigate the 'old fashioned' way, just in case your instructor or pilot examiner decides that it just 'died' mid flight. They have a habit of doing that, especially on a checkride. :thumbup:

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wet rate is $95/hour.

I only use the GPS currently when heading back from the practice area. For cross country training it'll be paper charts, fly the headings, and look down at the ground for the landmarks.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
95/hr!? Dang. Our cheapest 172 is $99 wet and it's the dog of the fleet, awful avionics, not even IFR rated. I guess I need to move down to southern Indiana. :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Congratulations! :) Here I could only dream of such a wet rate..198 €/h at the nearest club, incidentally at the same airport where the Aermacchi M-346 jet trainers are assembled.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Congratulations!
How is the emotional fallout a week later?

I've been contemplating getting a pilot license for a while, if only it wasn't so over-regulated around here. With the nearest "private-grade" airport being 300 km away there isn't that much point to outweight the complications.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Artlav! It's not too bad. More difficult is the physical tiredness from another lesson Monday evening, will be posting about it later this week. In short I was introduced to soft field landings, first time I've done any maneuver involving full elevator deflection in about 8 months, and I could tell afterward.

Oh, and apparently since the upgrades are complete, 34Q is worth more, now she's $125/hr wet :(

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
You're still ahead of me, even at $125. Our most expensive 172 is an old C.A.P. plane, decent avionics, still only a garmin 155 (but it works most of the time), higher horsepower engine, long range fuel tanks, and it's $125. Still... can't beat getting a 430 at that per/hr price.

But it always hurts when the FBO decides to raise the rates. :thumbsdown:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah it stinks. Not to sound too entitlement-minded, but I almost feel it would be good business for them to give myself and the other 4 pilots left over from last year some sort of discount on the rate. We're their bread and butter, and the whole reason they could afford the upgrades in the first place. I'm ok with the delays, it's part of flying. It's been the whole way they've handled it that has left the bad taste in my mouth. Days or weeks with no communication about the status of work, downtimes, etc. It's piss-poor customer service. Having the experience and background both in the service industry and in IT that I have, good customer service is something that matters to me and I expect it from a professionally-run business. This FBO, from an administrative standpoint, is run by the business office of a locally owned and operated company with a global presence and a recognized name. They know how vital communicating with customers and suppliers is, so I hold them to a pretty high standard.

I may rent 34Q for personal flying and maintaining currency once I get my PPL, but for any further ratings I'll likely go to the other FBO and learn in their Warrior.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Our FBO has pretty much come out and said that they don't care for their renters or most of the piston planes based on the field. TZR gets a lot of corporate jet traffic. I've seen a line guy stop in mid-refueling a local piston plane to go kiss the boots of a biz jet that had just landed. The local guy had to wait almost 45 mins to get is top off finished. We have no self serve pump.

That being said, our rental prices are still $75 to $100 cheaper then the next closest FBO (excluding clubs. No clubs at TZR though) So I just deal with the less than stellar service and keep the driving to a min. TZR is really close to home and its where my work flies out of.

I'm in talks to go in on a Mooney M20 with some other pilots but so far no one can really pull the trigger. Still haven't found the right airframe for the right price.

Last edited: