Jupiter is at Opposition.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Today Jupiter enters opposition. This is the biggest it's gonna look for awhile. Anyone going out with their scope tonight?

Unstung

Reaction score
I don't have a telescope, but I will attempt it using my telephoto lens again soon. I've tried before, and at best was able to resolve two moons, I believe (Ganymede and Callisto?). The seeing should be good like usual, but there's always light pollution. Last time, I was still using a cheap tripod but my new one arrived which is much more stable and it should be steady over long exposures with a DSLR. The problem is now focusing since the moon should be gone by now. Maybe since I can manipulate this tripod easier, autofocusing on Jupiter shouldn't be a problem. I may post my older pictures and newer ones.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I saw it and it was amazing. Io had just transited and all the belts were easily clear.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't have a telescope, but I will attempt it using my telephoto lens again soon. I've tried before, and at best was able to resolve two moons, I believe (Ganymede and Callisto?). The seeing should be good like usual, but there's always light pollution. Last time, I was still using a cheap tripod but my new one arrived which is much more stable and it should be steady over long exposures with a DSLR. The problem is now focusing since the moon should be gone by now. Maybe since I can manipulate this tripod easier, autofocusing on Jupiter shouldn't be a problem. I may post my older pictures and newer ones.

Set manual focus to infinity and unless you have an equatorial or alt-az mount for your cam, you can forget about long exposures.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I've been observing Jupiter for the last few weeks when its not been too overcast to see (4 nights in 5 weeks of attempts :( ). I have managed to see 4 moons and distinct strips of Jupiter's clouds. Unfortunately my set up cant take a camera :(

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
After getting a telescope from my aunt the second thing I saw was Jupiter. I could just barely make out the cloud belts, and I could see all 4 moons as little white dots.
First thing on my christmas list is a more powerful eyepeice, right now I'm using a kiddie lens that doesn't even fit in the slot :rofl:
I don't even know the darn thing's focal length, all it says is 40x :lol:

Unstung

Reaction score
Set manual focus to infinity and unless you have an equatorial or alt-az mount for your cam, you can forget about long exposures.
Infinity doesn't work but I was able to manually focus it well enough until I got the least blur possible. I don't have a mount like that, just a tripod for photography. I did get various exposures from 30 seconds to 1/8 second while altering the ISO and produced a few images where I can make out Jupiter and three moons without any trails any no movement from the tripod. I may post them soon.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Taking a look at it in Stellarium I see that it's maximum altitude in the sky is 15° higher than last time. Time to use the good weather before it changes...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It has been cloudy here for the last few days, but I've looked at Jupiter through a small scope... the oblate shape is clearly visible, as are the moons, and I think I can just barely make out some of the features on the disk (but... I might be inventing canals :lol: ).

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Took a couple quick images last night; not too shabby for moderate seeing conditions.

jupiter103011.jpg

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Meade LX90 8", used Phillips webcam with 2xbarlow; 1800 images stacked in Registack

Turbo

Reaction score
Wow, I just took my very old Tasco telescope outside not expecting to accualy be able to see anything as I have never really used it. To my amazement, using all 3 lenses I have, I got 3 awsome views of Jupiter and 4 moons! I wish my telescope was new enough to get pictures. It was awsome! I could accualy see the colors of jupiter and not just a dot of light. NOt clear enough to see any spots, but still, it was cool!
First time seeing anything besides the moon, so I just thought id share that on here :thumbup:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Wow, I just took my very old Tasco telescope outside not expecting to accualy be able to see anything as I have never really used it. To my amazement, using all 3 lenses I have, I got 3 awsome views of Jupiter and 4 moons! I wish my telescope was new enough to get pictures. It was awsome! I could accualy see the colors of jupiter and not just a dot of light. NOt clear enough to see any spots, but still, it was cool!
First time seeing anything besides the moon, so I just thought id share that on here :thumbup:

Jupiter is always a cool sight. You should try Saturn soon since it's coming back in few months.