Jupiter Orbit Insert with IMFD?

Kveldulf

Reaction score
As someone who's still new to Orbiter (I've been to Mars and landed, but thats with the Go Play in Space tutorial, and LandMFD), I decided to indulge my curiosity, and travel from a Martian Orbit to Jupiter. I mostly followed the Go Play in Space steps for traveling to Mars, and after about 30 minutes, I started seeing the outer moons orbiting the planet. Unfortunately, even though I ran about 5 course correction burns, I still needed to run a lengthy burn to adjust correctly (I think it hit over 5 or so minutes before hitting Jupiter's SOI).

I ended up missing that burn, so I decided to start on the Orbit Insert immediately. After several problems (and IMFD shutting itself down once or twice), I finally told the DG to preform the insert burn. About halfway through the burn, it became clear that I wasnt going to make it into orbit. I think IMFD was trying to place me in an Orbit that was below the clouds, and no matter how many times I tried to re-adjust, I couldnt figure it out (it was also about 1 am, so I might have missed it).

Long story short, I ended up dipping below the clouds, and due to my lack of desire to turn on damage, I "landed on the surface of Jupiter" :huh:

Is there a tutorial for using IMFD to travel to the outer planets that could detail this better, or was it just me missing a burn that caused all this?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
See IMFD tutorial at
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]

If you were too low, I bet that you set PeA as if you had Km instead of meters.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Like I said, I couldnt figure out how to set the Orbit Insert, and all attempts to didnt work out right.

Thanks for the tutorial in any case. I'll see how that works.

Jebusy

Reaction score
I might be wrong but i did earth to mars last week and remember you have to enter the alt you want of your orbit around the target planet....i think you probly forgot to enter it in the base approach program....hmm and if you didnt forget that then i dont rly kno sry....hmm ive never tried to fly to jupiter so this is also just another guess but if you did enter the alt and cant get to orbit mayb trying 100k (like you would if you were following the mars tutorial) would just drag you in cos its a big gas planet and it might have a bigger atmosphere....hmm..might.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Jebusy, I re-read the Go Play in Space tutorial, and I figured out what my missing step was. What I forgot to do was the Planet approach. I've been planing several of those burns and noticed that a few wanted to put me 1m off the ground. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.