Programming Question Just a thought regarding landing on a vessel

Kendo

Reaction score
As you can land on a planet, is it is possible to to make a very small "planet", or an object (ideally flat) and call it a "planet" to attach/or as a payload, just underneath a landing pad on a moving vessel, so as to to land on the pad. ?

charvey165

Reaction score
Interesting

Interesting, you want to land on a moving target? like say...the deck of a orbiting ship or a DG landing "IN" or on a moving station? ive seen a few addons like this, check out oribiter hanger mods, i think there is a station + few ships that would make a good base for something like you want. im not a mod designer so i am just going on what you suggested.
charvey

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not without changing the Orbiter's core - planets are not definable at run time.

But you can do the opposite, and extend the touch-down points of a vessel down towards the actual planet (old-style Meshland).
Or just compute the collision physics in parallel (new Meshland, Shukra station).

Why do you ask?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Possible? I think so.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZN-5hl428"]Visosad 070426 vessel-vessel collision detection demo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Kendo

Reaction score
Thanks aArtlav.
I have a shuttle bay on a Star Trek ship, and rather than docking somewhere, I thought it would be good to "land" on the pad area.
On my Spacedock for instance you can dock to a small ledge with the XR2, positioned so the wheels touch the ledge when docked.
But it,s impossible to do for a wider selection of craft.
If every craft had a docking port at the same place at ground level, then all landing areas could have a docking port also at ground level, then dock.
Similar to Gattispilot,s Eagle.
This is why I asked the question.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder why that wasn't released. I want the flying aircraft carrier.
It was. Years ago on another forum.
This is the closest thing, i guess: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6548
But, obviously, there were problems.

The list of collision detection solutions (that i know of) and their trade-offs is here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=371775&postcount=7

Maybe i should probably make it a blog post or something - it's easily lost in history?

I have a shuttle bay on a Star Trek ship, and rather than docking somewhere, I thought it would be good to "land" on the pad area.
And the ship moves around?
Tricky. Exponentially more tricky if time accel is allowed.

If the ship was just hovering in place, there is the Shukra collision system, for non-time-acceled things there is Visosad (the video), but no combination ever worked.

---------- Post added at 05:09 ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 ----------

Oh, and the most successful part of my collision detection lot, IMHO, is the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4411"]Asteroids! the game[/ame] .

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And the ship moves around?
Tricky. Exponentially more tricky if time accel is allowed.
Not terribly. You only need the collision detection against ships that are moving relative to the parent. Once you've "landed" and reached some minimum threshold, stop doing collision detection and just use an attachment to keep the vessel stationary. When thrust is applied to the child, release the attachment and start collision detection again.

Alternately, maybe you could cheat and do it entirely with attachments. When a ship enters the bay, you hook it with an attachment, then do your own physics calculations for the ship and subvert the Orbiter calculations, so you can make the ship in the bay do whatever you want. Drag, artificial gravity, collision...the docking bay is your oyster.