Hardware Key mapping for Logitech Extreme 3D Pro doesn't work

Catweazle

Reaction score
Hi @all!

After some long kind of "time-out" I finally came back to Orbiter :)
Several years ago, I only had an old Windows XP computer with rather scanty CPU, graphics, and memory capabilities...:cry:
Therefore I could just use Orbiter 2010 with low resolution settings, etc.....yet it worked fine.

Recently, I was able to "upgrade" somewhat in terms of equipment. Now I run with Windows 10 (latest build), enough memory, and an Nvidia Geforce 2060 RTX as graphics device.
So I first time tried Orbiter 2016. After some trial and error with DirectX and Jarmonik's D3D9 client, everything seems to work fine.
Although...I don't really understand why I had to install DirectX 9 to be able to use 3840x2160 resolution, when there was already DirectX 12 installed. Is DirectX not downward compatible?
However, that's not my primary problem.

With my previous Orbiter 2010 installation on the old computer, I used a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. If I recall correctly, I had no difficulties to assign the joystick keys using the Logitech Profiler. E. g., I assigned them for switching to the upper and lower instrument panels in the XR2 Ravenstar, and I even succeded in setting the joystick "trigger" to operate the brakes of the landing gear.

Alas, in my new Orbiter 2016 installation, all joystick key settings seem to have no effect at all. Just the 3 main axes, the throttle slider and the HAT are active by default. I'm using the lgs510_x64 version of the Logitech Profiler software.
After a lot of looking around for a solution via Google, I also tried using the Logitech Gaming Software, and also JoytoKey, but even with that I couldn't manage to get any further.
With Logitech's Profiler, I tried almost every option, like "Select Keystroke", "Select Command", and so on, just to achieve any effect in Orbiter, but it doesn't work.

I'm running an almost basic Orbiter 2016 setup (Build 28, Aug 2016, v. 160828, installed from the zip archive), DirectX 9 (Jun2010_redist), D3D9 client (version R4.16), VC_redist.x64, XRSound 2.0, XR2 Ravenstar 1.10, and XR5 Vanguard 1.13.
No more extensions, mods, or add-ons so far, which could possibly interfere.

Is there anything I might have missed? Do I have to "activate" the joystick keys somehow for use in Orbiter? Yet I really can't remember that I had to do so with my old Orbiter installation.
I'd be very glad for any suggestions!

Catweazle

Catweazle

Reaction score

@Nokigori:
Thank you for your quick reply, and for this hint.
Of course, I don't want to appear ungrateful or even nagging, but it seems to me that Fly-By-Wire is not exactly what I'm looking for.
After installation, I found the configuration settings in the "Extra" section of Orbiter Launchpad. However, except for the general flight controls like main, retro, and hover engines, rudder, aileron, elevator, trim and RCS, no other functions of Orbiter can be assigned to any joystick buttons.

Whats more - but this might be some problem with my computer installation or configuration - if I click on any of the controls in the configuration window of Fly-By-Wire, I get an error message saying "Access violation at address 0D86AE11 in module 'FlyByWireCore.dll'. Reading of address ECF0E8EC." I really have no clue how to tackle this problem to get Fly-By-Wire running, even if it would not solve my basic case.

The OHM page of Fly-By-Wire says that more details could be obtained from http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/FlyByWireEGCS , but this server seems to be down presently.

What I have in mind - as I found it very convenient in my former Orbiter installation - is to assign something like "gear up/down" (G), "APU on/off" (Ctrl+A), open/close SCRAM doors (Ctrl+G), switch to upper/lower instrument panels (Ctrl+↑ or Ctrl+↓), and other frequently-used keyboard functions to joystick buttons.
I consider it a waste to leave the joystick buttons unused and to constantly change to mouse or keyboard. Sometimes I find this even distracting when concentrating e. g. on atmosphere flight by joystick.
Some key functions, e. g. Ctrl+= for increasing SCRAM thrust may still be manageable single-handed on a US keyboard, but with my German keyboard layout I would have to let the joystick go and press the Ctrl+Shift+0 combination with two hands. I guess you will agree that assigning such unhandy key combinations to a single joystick button can considerably facilitate vessel handling in tricky flight situations.

Catweazle

BTW: despite COVID restrictions - I wish all forum members nice Easter holidays; make the best of it! :cool: ?️