Flight Question Knowing when to launch from Earth for Earth-Moon or Earth-Mars travel

Alexrey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out, in general, the best time to launch from Earth if I want to minimize the delta-v required to align planes with the Moon or Mars before I start the Trans-Lunar or Trans-Mars injection. So far I've got it horribly wrong, usually 50 degrees off, effectively destroying my mission before I've even begun.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
50 degrees are way too many!
Try to minimize the deviation between orbital planes during ascent itself.

You could give a shot at LaunchMFD:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802"]Launch MFD - v. 1.6.2 for Orbiter 2010[/ame]

Last edited:

Alexrey

Reaction score
Is there a way to do it manually without the use of MFDs?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sure.

For the moon launch whenever you want and go due East. You can then do an off-plane intercept with the moon.

For Mars, date is more important thanks to the dV required to get to Mars. You should also launch due East and fly an off-plane intercept.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Hey, this sounds easy! Looks like it's not a problem that I've actually forgotten how to USE Orbiter in the years after all.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out, in general, the best time to launch from Earth if I want to minimize the delta-v required to align planes with the Moon or Mars before I start the Trans-Lunar or Trans-Mars injection.

With regards to the moon, see if this video helps your understanding of when to launch: