Question Land MFD

Genesis27

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering...does anyone know if Land MFD works with the Delta Glider IV ?....I'm trying to land at Brighton Beach, and am finding it a little difficult at first....so I thought I might try Land MFD for a while...although I have read somewhere that it lands the DGIV on it's tail...is this still the case?...also, can anyone tell me where the best place to burn so I can finish up about 7km just before Brighton Beach, as I always end up about 100km altitude just before reaching Brighton Beach which is obviously too high....any suggestions would be of great help...thanks

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
LAND MFD works for tail sitters. LOLA MFD (I think) works for all. Certainly works for the DGIV.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3172"]Lola MFD[/ame]

TJohns

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...can anyone tell me where the best place to burn so I can finish up about 7km just before Brighton Beach...
Basic Lunar (Apollo) Landing
Apolune 110km
Perilune 18km
Perilune 15 deg east of landing site (retrograde orbit)
At perilune engage engines and maintain thrust between 3.5-4 m/s^2
Adjust pitch to hold a constant 28 m/s descent rate
Should get you roughly to High Gate...7 km from landing site at about 4 km altitude

Trev

Genesis27

Reaction score
Thanks Guys...really appreciate your comments...I managed to get to Pad 2 OK using LOLA MFD...but like you say (agentgonzo), I forgot to open my hover doors !...doh ! and ended up landing on my tail.....you live and learn !...next time, should be a perfect landing....appreciate your comments...thanks Trevor

---------- Post added 09-23-2009 at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-22-2009 at 03:05 PM ----------

Hi there....was just wondering...should it be normal when using the LOLA MFD for the Delta Glider IV to look as if it is vertical (as if walking !) when approaching Brighton Beach some 40 km out ?...mind does, but then goes horizontal when about to land, pitching down gradually.....
It does make a perfect landing, but just looks abnormal approaching the base..thought it should be horizontal all the way....

Also, I know it's probably a silly question...but how do you get the crew to disembark onto the tarmac...I have opened the canopy...I've gone into sleep mode...but never seen any of the crew outside the DGIV...help !

Thanks

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Hi there....was just wondering...should it be normal when using the LOLA MFD for the Delta Glider IV to look as if it is vertical (as if walking !) when approaching Brighton Beach some 40 km out ?...mind does, but then goes horizontal when about to land, pitching down gradually.....
It does make a perfect landing, but just looks abnormal approaching the base..thought it should be horizontal all the way....
Yes, that's entirely normal. when you are approaching the base, your vertical speed is relatively slow, but your lateral speed is high. As LolaMFD only uses your hover thrusters to land, it must first slow your craft down from the initial speed (of about 1-2km/s from memory). The only way to do this is to point the engines in the direction of travel. As it's using the hover thrusters, it must pitch up so that your hover thrusters are pointing horizontally (in the direction of travel). As you get almost to the pad, you will have slowed down so the vessel will pitch down and the hover engines will support the weight of the craft as it comes in to land (like a helicopter).

Also, I know it's probably a silly question...but how do you get the crew to disembark onto the tarmac...I have opened the canopy...I've gone into sleep mode...but never seen any of the crew outside the DGIV...help !
I think that you need to open the outer and inner doors and hit the EVA button. You can't exit through the canopy.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Welcome to space/lunar operations. Abandon ye Earthly frames of reference for this is space. Seriously though, there might be a prettier way for a DG to land but does it matter? The Apollo Lunar modules would thrust retrograde then pitchover in much the same way as LOLA brings you done.

Thanks

I believe it is on the lower panel. You EVA the crew to the surface.

Genesis27

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I appreciate your replies...it's a good feeling when you finally make it from KSC to Brighton Beach and land perfectly on one of the pads.....I probably wouldn't have done it at all if it hadn't been for the help that was given on here...so thanks to everyone who has given time to advise...really appreciated....

Tommy

Reaction score
I think that you need to open the outer and inner doors and hit the EVA button.

Only the outer door needs to be open. Opening both on an airless planet results in crew death if I'm not mistaken, but I think that having the "seatbelts" light on will keep the crew alive in DGIV.