Latest builds on Beta - No S-V launch texture issues

kneecaps

Reaction score
Hi folks,
After having been on 2010 for a long long long time, I've now taken the plunge into NASSP Beta 8.0.

Having not run the Orbiter Betas previously I may have done something wrong but have repeated the installation process twice with identical results.

Issue #1 No S-V launch.
Scenarios in the root of \Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP using the S-V do not launch at T-0. The LV lights do not extinguish.
Scenarios in this path with the Saturn IB appear to operate correctly (and have the hatch texture)

The scenarios found in "\Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Mission Scenarios" launch correctly.

Issue #2 Missing hatch texture in S-V scenarios in \Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP

I may have done something wrong during the install process but hard to see what. Nothing is jumping out at me in the logs either.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Please tell us the beta revision, otherwise we cannot help!

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scenarios in the root of \Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP using the S-V do not launch at T-0. The LV lights do not extinguish.

The scenarios found in "\Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Mission Scenarios" launch correctly.

Are you sure you don't have this backwards? The scenarios under mission scenarios are still mostly from the NASSP 7.0 release. And I implemented a sort of countdown hold feature, where it evalutes if the Saturn V is in a safe conditions at various times (T-187s, T-30s and T-8.9s). Unfortunately this combined with an error I made with the EDS (and which is still saved in old scenarios) this can lead to the launch being prevented from proceeding. But the T-4h scenarios under "\Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP" should work fine. I will fix the Apollo 8, 10 and 11 T-60s scenarios under Mission Scenarios, they are probably currently broken. And of course these scenarios will eventually be replaced with completely new ones from NASSP 8.0.

I'll have that fix up later today and I will also check on the hatch texture then.

kneecaps

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have this backwards? The scenarios under mission scenarios are still mostly from the NASSP 7.0 release. And I implemented a sort of countdown hold feature, where it evalutes if the Saturn V is in a safe conditions at various times (T-187s, T-30s and T-8.9s). Unfortunately this combined with an error I made with the EDS (and which is still saved in old scenarios) this can lead to the launch being prevented from proceeding. But the T-4h scenarios under "\Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP" should work fine. I will fix the Apollo 8, 10 and 11 T-60s scenarios under Mission Scenarios, they are probably currently broken. And of course these scenarios will eventually be replaced with completely new ones from NASSP 8.0.

I'll have that fix up later today and I will also check on the hatch texture then.

Actually...yes...you are correct. I've transposed the texture issue and the lack of launch issue.

So scenarios in \Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP are for V8.0, these are the ones that seem to have texture problems with the hatch. I will attach screenshots.

I have also noticed that externally on all *except* Apollo 10 it appears to be 'night' during the day at the pad. No idea what this may be about. I will also attach screenshots.

I will disregard the scenarios in \Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Mission Scenarios for V8.0 testing.

Attachments

• apollo11002.jpg
    apollo11002.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 183
  • apollo11001.jpg
    apollo11001.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 167
  • apollo7002.jpg
    apollo7002.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 184

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's how the NASSP side hatch looks with the hatch open. Probably not right how that handle is displayed there, but otherwise you had no easy way to close the hatch on a 2D panel.

The displayed time is in UTC, not local time at the KSC. The prelaunch scenarios start at T-4 hours, at which time it was often still dark. In your screenshots from 10:00 and 11:00 UTC it would be 5:00 and 6:00 locally, which will be in darkness still.

kneecaps

Reaction score
That's how the NASSP side hatch looks with the hatch open. Probably not right how that handle is displayed there, but otherwise you had no easy way to close the hatch on a 2D panel.

The displayed time is in UTC, not local time at the KSC. The prelaunch scenarios start at T-4 hours, at which time it was often still dark. In your screenshots from 10:00 and 11:00 UTC it would be 5:00 and 6:00 locally, which will be in darkness still.

Apologies and thanks for the confirmation. Yes it is seeing the handle there that threw me. When did the hatch start being open? I've never seen it open (or actually opened it before prelaunch :D

Ahh silly me on the UTC thing. of course. What was concerning me was that the textures in the darkness seemed mighty strange...and there is a sort of dark box floating midair in external views in one of the screenshots.

Thanks for the sanity check and apologies for the bother on these basic matters, this being my first Orbiter Beta install I was concerned something was wrong.

Also, can you please clarify the dependency on the Hi Res Earth and Moon Textures. At nearly 50GB for both having multiple installs is using incredible amounts of SSD space. Presumably hi res moon is all but essential for actual landings and such?

kneecaps

Reaction score

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes the elevation will be more correct and all, but I definitely wouldn't say the high res textures for the Moon are required. I do have them installed in my NASSP install only and as Ripley said you won't need to install them multiple times, but I think you can get away without using them. The default Orbiter 2016 textures will be good enough.