Tutorial Launch AP for built in Atlantis STS-101 using AutopilotMFD

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Mission Complete!!

Ok sorry for the amount of time that has expired since my last post on this process. I have been perfecting the STS-101 to ISS and then de-orbit burn for a landing at Cape Canaveral. I will use some of this tutorial to make the Launch, then do some burns, and then will instruct the pilot how to use LolaMFD and RendezvousMFD and Attitude MFD to rendezvous with the ISS using enough fuel to get to the ISS with about 40% fuel. This is enough to undock at the right moment, and then deploy the satellite Carina and then de-orbit burn and land at KSC. The tutorial will be called
"STS-101 Atlantis to ISS, and KSC Landing using AutopilotMFD".

Please refer to that tutorial to get all of the processes you need to complet this mission.

I will post a link to the new tutorila very soon now.

kevinvr

Reaction score
I will try this too. I don't get too much time to use orbiter , but I will post comments once I've got it going and used it. Looks like a fun project.

kevinvr

Reaction score
I only use DGIV, because that is how far Iv'e got learning to use orbiter. I am going to try the KSC to ISS scenario and see if I can program that autopilot to do it. It will be a work in progress because , I don't get much time, only some weekends to play around with this.
Talk to you later :)

kevinvr

Reaction score
Hi there,
I tried using autopilot MFD with the DGIV and it worked great. I just went from KSC into LEO for a test run. I changed the hover takeoff to a normal takeoff and everything worked fine only it didn't use turboboost, but I don't know how to do that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// -----------------------------------------------------------
// Flightplan for the orbiter space simulation
// for use with the Autopilot MFD
//
// AutopilotMFD (c) 2005 by R. Bumm, Munich
// -----------------------------------------------------------
// small flightplan routine for reaching LEO stable earth orbit
// with the standard deltaglider. To be used from an earth spaceport.
//
// Modifications by Kevin van Rensburg - OribterForumNname: kevinvr
//
// Thanks Polaris149Tiberius for introducing me to this Program!!
//
// I just modified the original earthorbitg flightplan for use with the DGIV.
// This is great fun!!
//
// Program Name : dg4ksc2iss
//
// select home base
select Cape Canaveral
// take off to 500 m and turn right to ISS heading.
set apmode thruster.
wait 10.
run aph.
run speed 500.
pitch 40.
// take of towards east
wait altclimb 500.
operate gear.
turn heading 42.
// head will adjust the heading to 42 deg.
pitch 70.
burn main 40.
wait 10.
burn main 100.
wait altclimb 30000.
pitch 30.
wait altclimb 50000.
pitch 20.
wait speedmore 7420
stop engines
run hlevel
run prograde
wait anterograde
wait sinkrate -0.2
burn main 100
wait 20
stop engines
// congratulations, now in orbit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing, I do not know if it is possible but it would be fantastic if the DGIV autopilot programs could be used eg: PRO903SPEC42. I know the PROGRADE 's and a few others can be used. If it is possible and anyone knows how - this would be great. The other option is one I will try later - First use PRO903SSpec42 to get LEO and then Make a flightplan for AutopilotMFD that will bring you to the ISS, then use docking program (PRO300SPEC0) to dock.
Between autolaunch and autodock I do align planes and syncorbit manually. I think it could be a wonderful challenge to write an AutopilotMFD program to replace the manual part, just for the fun of programming it and seeing it work :)
I am now going to try your atlantis shuttle program and see how it goes.
I will post a note when I'm done. Should I use this thread or the other one?
Thanks
Kevin

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Hi there
I tried it and here are my results so far :)
try1. loaded and copied all files etc and launched. It started takeoff and i tried to zoom out and then when I pressed F1 to change view it bombed out.
try 2. Checked all programs and files and changed the flightplan filename. :) oopsie!
It took off and then later started to spin out of control. I closed it down.
try 3. Launched fine. this time Iused f2 to change the view :) success! It dropped the rockets and then I noticed that I'd forgot to jettison the fuel tank. Guess why it was spinning on the last try :). Tried to change to MapMFD and the program bombed out. I think my memory is too low or something else is wrong. will try again later.
That's it
have a great day!

Last edited:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Hi kevinvr,

Thanks for your interest in this tutorial. I have learned a few things about the processes since I last posted any replies to questions. You cant quick save while the program is running or it will disable the auto pilot. Also, if your having trouble with the guidance, make sure your settings are as realistic as possible in the Orbiter 2006 P1 sim settings, and make sure your using it in a scenario that has just STS-101 Atlantis and the ISS orbiting if your having trouble with memory. You can also change the throttle settings in my flightplan to be 100% all the way through it instead of the throttle down portion about 77 seconds from liftoff so your boosters don't push you upside down during that stage of the lift off. The Space Shuttle's SRBs will kick you pitching up more than the RCS thrusters can correct for so your change to the line "burn main 40" will cause that.

If you use my code, you can fix the throttle down part to being 100% from lift off to LOI and this will keep that from causing any weird attitude problems associated with that. Try to fix the code with what I provide below:
Code:
//                          SET HEADING #1
pitch 89.
turn heading 45.500
head 45.500.
pitch 86.
wait 31.
pitch 50.
wait 4.
burn main 100.
wait speedmore 320
burn main 100.
// actual max Q is here
wait speedmore 551
burn main 100.

I hope this helps. send me a message if it doesn't.
Good luck.