LaunchMFD Launch MFD Use with Multistage rockets?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's experience was using Launch MFD with both rockets of multiple stages, and/or Multistage2 rocket? I'm about fed up with trying to figure out Multistage2's guidance system so I'm looking for an alternative.
Thanks,
Matt

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
LaunchMFD does fine with Multistage, I can get very good launches using it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
What I have done recently for the Chapman Challenges was to truncate the guidance files after booster separation. I then flew manually using LaunchMFD's guidance and got some pretty efficient orbit insertions by only adjusting pitch. Multistage2 does a pretty good job of getting you on the right launch azimuth (except that you have to exit the sim to update the guidance file once you have used Launch MFD to calculate the correct heading).

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
WOW I just tested it. I wish it had an auto pilot, but it was still great!
One question though. Since Multistage doesn't support translation thrusters on stages, will Launch MFD keep the same launch data between jumping between crafts like if I jettisoned a Spacecraft3 payload would i sitll have the same orbital insertion data? Or is it vessel dependent?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, give it a try, and let us know! I love the Launch MFD. It's come a long way. AndyMc's Jupiter rockets are tough to fly without it, but the MFD gets you into orbit with max payload.

Only thing is it doesn't work with CVEL rockets, unfortunately. No HUD symbology.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
will Launch MFD keep the same launch data between jumping between crafts like if I jettisoned a Spacecraft3 payload would i sitll have the same orbital insertion data? Or is it vessel dependent?
I don't know, to be honest. I've never used it that way, I've only ever used it with a single vehicle.