Flight Question Launching to Moon from Baikinour, how to reduce RInc?

Cornflake

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to launch the N-1 to the moon from Baikinour, however this is my first time launching from a latitude this high. The minimum rinc i can get before launching is about 17 degrees, and this is really a pain to correct once in orbit.

How can I correct this while ascending? About how many degrees can I cut off? I was going to use Launch MFD but it doesn't seem to support targeting bodies (only spacecraft) so it's useless for helping me get to the moon. I was just messing and I starting yawing the rocket when I was maybe 100km high (only like 25% of orbital speed) and I started shaving some RInc, then it started going up again.

- Thanks for your help! :)

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
You get two launch windows a month to launch in a way to reach the moon from high lattitudes. The moon has to be in a position at arrival that you can enter its gravity well.

There is a way to find this timing with TransX tho I believe that method was for departing from the ISS

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
LaunchMFD will support celestial bodies as well as vessels. However, you don't need to align into the same plane as the moon for your parking orbit. A launch window will come around every two weeks (half of the moon's orbital period). You need to launch about 3 days (time taken to go from Earth to the moon) before the intersection of the moon's orbital plane and your parking orbit. That way, when you do your TLI burn, when you get to the same altitude as the moon, the moon will be passing through your orbital plane.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
IMFD, two plane transfer.

Cornflake

Reaction score
Ok, I'm having a little trouble here. I'm following the guide the.punk linked to, and despite launching from the same place and setting up TransX accordingly, I cannot get my Cl. Approach any better than about ~ 45M, unless I throw my orbit past the moon (which I would just end up wasting energy once I pass it to slow down). I set Prograde Vel. to about 3.1k, change date of arrival and finally mess with ch. plane velocity but I'm not really getting anywhere.

On this day the moon is about 25 degrees from the equator, so it does not get much closer to my latitude. I don't see why I can't get it any closer.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Did you follow the tutorial step by step?
Because it says to look that the moon is in the right position and then to launch into orbit. Then adjust the prograde vel and the Man. date. Try following exactly the tutorial.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
The moon's not in your orbital plane at the time of intercept. You need to get the two dotted yellow lines AND the grey line all to be on top of eachother to get the closest intercept.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yes. On your picture the lines aren't together. Ajust the date to get those together.

Cornflake

Reaction score
Did you follow the tutorial step by step?
Because it says to look that the moon is in the right position and then to launch into orbit. Then adjust the prograde vel and the Man. date. Try following exactly the tutorial.

Yes, I made sure the moon was just to the left of my position before launching.

I'll try adjusting the date again but I had it a few days out and the yellow lines did nothing really but get further apart. But I'll try again and see.