Project Level 10 Earth's Moon - Luna L10 Textures

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I didn't find any Level 10 global coverage Moon textures, so I decided to make one.

It's based on USGS Clementine's UVVIS mosaic v1.0 (composed in 1999). There is already updated (in late 2008) v2.0 of this mosaic, but I filled some gaps and added colors from lower resolution textures based on previous version, so it wouldn't comply with corrected by v2.0 locations of some Moon features.

I don't know if I update it to use Clementine UVVIS v2.0 mosaic, when I have all needed data. But most likely I'll just wait for global coverage from LROC :probe:

The effective size of texture is 32768 x 16384 pixels. All files (including generated levels 1-8) take 250 MB of HDD space, but I haven't tested yet how much space would take compressed archive.
Most of work I've done using GIMP. Currently I'm comparing my L10 texture to some previously released by others L9 textures, as also to L8 from Orbiter 2006 & 2009. Eventually I'll adjust brightness or colors a bit, or move it few pixels left or right.

What do you think? Is this worth uploading to Orbithangar?

Plato crater @ L10:
PlatoCraterL10.jpg

A view on Sinus Iridium & Jura Mountains (and Brighton Beach, but just invisible from this altitude):
SinusIridiumL10.jpg

Probably level 7 of those textures:
L10LunaL7.jpg

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
Ho yus.

I'd give this a hearty yes. This looks outstanding.

wizardchris

Greater Wizard of Orbs
Donator
Reaction score
Website
gallery.me.com
It looks great. Please finish and upload before the 40 years of Apollo 12 anniversary next week!

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback. :cheers:

I think it's ready, at least this version, incorporating v1.0 of Clementine mosaic. I'll be compressing it to archive later today, and upload to OH as soon as possible.

It looks great. Please finish and upload before the 40 years of Apollo 12 anniversary next week!
First it will need OH approval, before it's publicly available, but I think it will be there on time. :)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It does look good.

I've read on another forum that the Clementine mosaics, specially the first version, don't quite match the latest Kaguya altimetry data. Supposedly, the altimetery is more accurate and the Clementine data is imprecise, so there's bound to be some misalignment. Given that Orbiter doens't have a direct suport for topography, it won't matter much anyway.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I know about it.

And yes, there is misalignment. And it's visible when comparing the same condition screenshots of Moon when switched between versions 2006 and 2009 of Moon default L8 textures. The latter is based on version 2.0 of the mosaics.

Maybe next version will be updated to Clementine mosaics v2, but first I need to add another 2 GB of RAM to my computer.

orbiter28

Reaction score
I talk about your texture on dan's forum... it's very interessing :)

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I have a problem with my upload of this to OrbitHangar - some "Unknown Error" after over an hour of uploading. :mad:
I've already tried several times, to no avail. Currently I'm waiting for response from OH admins. :beathead:

I've made 2 different archive types to compare compression of textures - 7-zip (LZMA) and zip (Deflate). The 7-zip file has 137 MB (and this one I'm trying to upload to OH), and the zip is about 30 MB larger (it's 165 MB).

In the meantime, I've made a simple program that can update Moon.cfg with MaxPatchResolution = 10, without need for manual editing (it's included in the archive, that right now I'm trying to upload),

and created an image for OrbitHangar add-on's page:
LunaL10_v1.jpg

I talk about your texture on dan's forum... it's very interessing :)
I've been there, but unfortunately I don't speak French.

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
oops

I've finally found the problem with your upload. It turns out that the upload file size limit was set to be just under the file size of what you were trying to upload. This resulted in the whole form submission being thrown out. I've now increased this limit, so you shouldn't have any more problems uploading it.

I've also now allowed the uploading of 7z files, although I wouldn't recommend it as most people will not have 7-zip installed. A file size savings of 30mb isn't that big of a deal for the server.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
A file size savings of 30mb isn't that big of a deal for the server.

It is for people with low download speeds though.

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
It is for people with low download speeds though.

Yes, but you have to have both a low download speed and be willing to install yet another archive manager program on your computer to be able to extract it. But this is why I've allowed the uploading of .7z files. In the end, it's up to either the uploader or the downloader to decide which is best for them.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I've finally found the problem with your upload. It turns out that the upload file size limit was set to be just under the file size of what you were trying to upload. This resulted in the whole form submission being thrown out. I've now increased this limit, so you shouldn't have any more problems uploading it.

I've also now allowed the uploading of 7z files, although I wouldn't recommend it as most people will not have 7-zip installed. A file size savings of 30mb isn't that big of a deal for the server.
That doesn't seem to solve the problem. I just tried it again and it's still the same. It can be some timeout on the server side. My uplink is only 256 Kbps, and uploading 137 MB takes 1 hour and 11 minutes, but session is preserved - after this time I'm still logged in.

Yes, but you have to have both a low download speed and be willing to install yet another archive manager program on your computer to be able to extract it. But this is why I've allowed the uploading of .7z files. In the end, it's up to either the uploader or the downloader to decide which is best for them.
I could say the same about some .rar files, probably compressed with some nonstandard method, so to decompress them they need installation of WinRAR.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I could say the same about some .rar files, probably compressed with some nonstandard method, so to decompress them they need installation of WinRAR.

7zip works just fine for extracting those files, so no, it's not needed.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
OK. Now I tried to upload the zip compressed package, with the same result, so it isn't also a file type problem. I can't help that files are respectively 137 MB and 165 MB. Both were packed with "ultra" compression.

I could upload the file to external server of one of my clients, as a temporary location, and upload a link to it at OrbitHangar, but that would be at the most for a week, or split this archive for a two-part add-on, and try to upload those files one after another.

7zip works just fine for extracting those files, so no, it's not needed.
For most cases it's true, but about a half year ago I had a rar archive that gave me "data error" in 7-Zip, and extracted fine from WinRAR. Maybe now, in 7-Zip 9.06 it would extract, but then, in 9.04 it couldn't, but I can't check it now, because I recompressed it to .7z. ;)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I could upload the file to external server of one of my clients, as a temporary location, and upload a link to it at OrbitHangar, but that would be at the most for a week, or split this archive for a two-part add-on, and try to upload those files one after another.

That is a great idea. But only give the link to Vash, so he can pull it on OH.