LHC Creating a "Mini-Big Bang"

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kidding matters aside, I'm pretty sure this is safe.

Right?

Right?

Well, if it wasn't, you'd be dead by now.

Don't stick your hand in the beam or walk around the tunnel when the thing's active... unless you're looking for a creative way to end your life.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Kidding matters aside, I'm pretty sure this is safe.

Right?

Right?

Well, except for repairs and the winter months, the LHC is running 24/7. and it is already running. Such huge machines take too long for starting, you need alone weeks of calibration after a cold start. And weeks for cooling the magnets before you can fire it up again after having the cooling system shut down.

If a single LHC experiment would be causing a end of the world, the LHC would cause it a few thousand times per second before the effects leave the confinement of the LHC. But doomsday prophets don't care much about particle accelerator operations. Even the scientists* who claim that the LHC can cause stable black holes (because these physicists use a theory that was already known to be wrong in 1922), show a huge amount of clueless-ness about what the LHC actually does.

* One I know is biochemicist and self-taught theoretical physicist... self-taught always means: Half-wit.

Keatah

Reaction score
Well now.. Either the Standard Model is wrong, or some process has segregated the matter and anti-matter. Perhaps they put the anti-matter on the left side of the universe and the regular "normal" matter on the right side.

If the universe makes no distinction between matter & anti-matter, then perhaps *WE* are anti-matter, and these experiments are simply making regular run-of-the mill matter!

This just goes to show you how little we really understand the universe!