LHC Creating a "Mini-Big Bang"

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nonsense! I'm looking forward to 2012 and the massive doom-related drop in property tax. :rofl:

well, in the lack of "natural" doom, other sources of doom can easily be arranged....

maybe the LHC can spawn some zombies! that's the most fun type of doomsday there is! - you get to play with guns and commandeer aircraft! :thumbup: :lol:

now, that sounds like a Michael Bay movie! - let me know when it's out so i can become appropriately drunk before i watch it :cheers:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What if they create a new universe inside ours that pushes ours out of existence? :huh:

You should really stop reading news articles relating to science...

No, it isn't a "mini big-bang". It isn't even close to a "mini micro-bang". Currently the total collision energy will be 7 TeV = 7*10^12 eV. The universe can far surpass our puny little collider. The most energetic particle was detected at just under 10^21 eV, which translates to roughly 50 J.

That particle didn't create a big bang that dispaced our universe, did it?

redwolfcfc

Reaction score
If it's a "mini-big-bang," isn't it just an ordinary bang? :rolleyes:

:thumbup: that's funny i don't care who you are... and not surprisingly it was the only thing in this thread i understood.:facepalm:

Keatah

Reaction score
:lol::lol: I had an idea!! I'm gonna paint an accretion disc in my toilet, with a black hole singularity in the flush hole! I suppose I could add chaser lights around the rim to make the swirl look cool.. :lol::lol:

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
"They will look at the Universe fractions of a second after a tiny but very dense ball of energy exploded to create the cosmos as we know it today."

I just can't take junk like this seriously. The Universe never was a tiny dense ball as this would imply that it has a known center or some kind of edges. I hear this again and again in media and TV. So far as observations go, the universe is infinitely homogeneous.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"They will look at the Universe fractions of a second after a tiny but very dense ball of energy exploded to create the cosmos as we know it today."

I just can't take junk like this seriously. The Universe never was a tiny dense ball as this would imply that it has a known center or some kind of edges. I hear this again and again in media and TV. So far as observations go, the universe is infinitely homogeneous.

You also should stop reading news relating to science from the common, popular media.

"They will try to find particles that possibly existed in the high energy environment of the early universe." just doesn't make good headlines...

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this sort of stuff on a space sim forum... next, I'll be hearing that the Earth is a sphere.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
You also should stop reading news relating to science from the common, popular media.

"They will try to find particles that possibly existed in the high energy environment of the early universe." just doesn't make good headlines...

I do every so often hoping to find something interesting. Alas, most times its some basic thing "explained" so inaccurately in some kind of lay terms that would be better off not even explained at all.

Academic science journals are nice, though...:thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
although, that kind of conveys the wrong message. Even the most sophisticated rolling bodies we produce aren't as spherical as earth. So for all intents and purposes, the earth IS a sphere.

Keatah

Reaction score
this sort of stuff on a space sim forum... next, I'll be hearing that the Earth is a sphere.

We know the spherical nature of the Earth pretty well.. But we do not know the nature of the universe in terms of boundaries and fabric. So, it is good to get other opinions and clarify some in the process too.

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Hm. Mini-Big-Bang... Sounds like one hell of a grenade launcher. :)

I'm gonna go make one for Doom right now!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would you look at that... I shouldn't wonder, really, it's over 6 years ago since I worked in the industry, and I didn't keep up with developement.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would you look at that... I shouldn't wonder, really, it's over 6 years ago since I worked in the industry, and I didn't keep up with developement.

Depends on which industry... telescope mirror making has always involved similar precisions, though they have it easier to achieve it.

Getting such quality in a mass produced part, could be nearly impossible.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it was pretty mundane injection tool industry for me, But the rolling bodies you have in an HSC-center are among the most precise you get from mass production, and they (at least back then) were not as round as the earth (not far from it either, though).

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
yodawguniverse.png

Kidding matters aside, I'm pretty sure this is safe.

Right?

Right?