Linux + ZFS

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Preamble
I can't find a more convenient and relevant place to save this article than here, on the other hand given the results of the last Forum thread I was involved about the issue, I'm reluctant to do it openly in a way that would trigger another flame-fest.

So this post will be blocked from comments, and I will not engage in any public discussion about the matter.

The issue
Apparently, there's a licensing issue on the planned ZFS support for Ubuntu. The thing is somewhat confusing even to me ( a self proclaimed not-a-lawyer that thinks that knows something about laws :p ), but some points from the offended party appears to corroborate some opinions of mine.

Let me tell in advance that both sides of this question are collaborating together in order to find a solution - they are adversaries, not enemies. As it should be, when both sides aims to do what's right.

Article: GPL Violations Related to Combining ZFS and Linux

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
"O mundo gira, a Lulsitana roda"

It's 5 years since my last post of the subject, so it's about time to cry "I told y'a" again. :)

Everybody should be aware of the Github Microsoft's Copilot by now. This thing is a I.A. engine that feeds on all Open Source's code (but who can say it doesn't looks also on private repos?) and try to suggest code while you are programming.

Problem: such excerpts are suggested disregarding the licensing terms of the original code, and so, it's a potential Copyright Infringement.

This one is on the very bleeding edge of the Copyright Drama, and exactly due this, it's probably one of the most interesting cases to look at.