LM VC - Debug String Not Updating During P64

Thespacer

Reaction score
Hi

I've been adapting to the VC, which is looking great. However, the debug string for use when "eyes out" in the final landing phase appears not to refresh at all when the "Mode Sel" switch is in "Ldg Radar" (per checklist). It does refresh, however, when Mode Sel is in PGNS. This may be a bug?

Ideally, I wonder if there is any way to have the DSKY more "visible" when in heads down mode during landing and other critical flight phases. The VC is not as efficient as the 2D panel in having all the information in front of you at critical times of flight. E.g., similar to the external MFD, having a pop-out window for critical flight instruments. If not, I'd happily settle for the debug string.

Thespacer

Reaction score
Thanks. To be much clearer than I was, I'm referring to the great work @jalexb88 mentioned in his post here from the V8 Release Work Thread:

The LM VC has had a bit of an update, with the goal of making it easier to fly the lunar landing from the VC in NASSP 8.0. No gauges are functional yet but panels 1-4 are now displayed (static). LGC altitude and descent rate information as well as guidance modes & remaining fuel are displayed in a debug string during the braking/approach/landing phases when in the VC. Further VC work, including working gauges is slated for NASSP 9.0.

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The debug string is still updating with Mode Sel > Ldg Radar, except for the altitude and altitude rate. This is because those are read directly from lgc_alt & lgc_altrate in RadarTape class and unfortunately are only updated with the switch set to PGNS.

On Apollo 11 I think the checklist indeed does say to use Mode Sel > Ldg Radar, but the later missions definetly have it set to PGNS early during PDI. I think it makes more sense anyway to leave it in PGNS because you get a more accurate altitude then in Ldg Radar which basically just gives raw data from the LR with no correction.

I could however update the debug string to also get the LR data when the switch is set to Ldg Radar if people really want it.

Last edited:

Thespacer

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation that it’s working as intended. Not a big deal given competing development priorities. Thanks for everything you’ve done to make NASSP what it is.