Loss of rudder/aileron control on reentry

Wittner

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm practising reentry with the glider. When I get through the atmosphere I seem to lose all control over my craft. I've done the checklist so it's not that RCS is left on or anything. I suspect that, if I really came through the atmosphere at a couple thousand Kilometres per hour I'd be likely to have my ailerons torn clean off! Is that what's happening here or is there another explanation. Any thoughts appreciated,

cheers,

Wittner

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you have Damage model enabled? If yes, being too fast and too low will rip your control surfaces off and you loose control.

Wittner

Reaction score
Thanks Urwumpe - that's exactly what must be happening. I will have to find some information on max speeds, maneuvering speeds etc.,

cheers,

Wittner

Wittner

Reaction score
"front deutscher apfel" - that looked a bit scary until I Googled it! Especially when one doesn't speak German!

very fruity!

;-)

Wittner

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks Urwumpe - that's exactly what must be happening. I will have to find some information on max speeds, maneuvering speeds etc.,

minimum allowed wing loading: -10 kN/m²
maximum allowed wing loading : 16 kN/m²

maximum allowed dynamic pressure: 300 kPa

It is very likely that you damaged your craft by exceeding the dynamic pressure limit.

Dynamic pressure is 0.5 * Air Density * Velocity².

Rough minimum altitudes by airspeed:
7000 m/s -> 12.245 g/m³ -> 38 km
6000 m/s -> 16.667 g/m³ -> 36 km
5000 m/s -> 24 g/m³ -> 33 km
4000 m/s -> 37 g/m³ -> 30 km
3000 m/s -> 66 g/m³ -> 26 km
2000 m/s -> 150 g/m³ -> 18 km

"front deutscher apfel" - that looked a bit scary until I Googled it! Especially when one doesn't speak German!

very fruity!

They are the good guys. ;)

Wittner

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for the information! I've gone on to use some of the tutorials available on this web site to improve my skills. Makes a change from FSX!

"They are the good guys." I don't think the National Vegetable Party would agree!! :rofl:

cheers,

Wittner