Lowest periapsis?

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I've been messing around the past few days trying to see how low to the surface of non-atmospheric bodies I can get the periapsis (lowest point of orbit). The best I've done is 20 m. high in sustained orbit over the moon. Anyone else gotten closer than this? I love watching my own shadow as my ship comes close to skidding the surface at orbital velocity.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yes I can orbit @ 1 meteron the moon, but it takes constant RCS adjustment. I've even veeery carefully touched my landing gear down. They just disappeared. :lol:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I've done a few inches above ground with a DeltaGliderIV with the gear up around the Moon!

mvronsky

Reaction score
My best is 2 meters above moon (with constant RCS adjustments)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
10 meters, at several times escape velocity, burning the hovers to keep it there:
mflo.jpg

Of course, that was before Orulex and collision detection...

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've done 2 Meters ! Eccentricity of 0.00000 with the periapsis at 2m ... Got an UMmu out, and enjoyed the view ! But I put him down too much ... And he is still bouncing ... :lol:

fullarmor2

Reaction score
I've done 2 Meters ! Eccentricity of 0.00000 with the periapsis at 2m ... Got an UMmu out, and enjoyed the view ! But I put him down too much ... And he is still bouncing ... :lol:
How is the Commander doing? Is he/she coping with his/her guilt ok? I mean for putting the crew in an unnecessary and extremely dangerous situation AND for losing a crewmember. :)

vinny5000

Reaction score
It is a very dangerous stunt you are trying out there! On one of the Apollo missions back in the late 1960s or early 1970s, the CSM/LM was in lunar orbit about 50,000 feet about the surface of the moon.

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
I especially love Triton. It's atmo is thin enough to allow a sustained orbit that gets you low enough for the atmo to flip you around, but not enough to slow and de-orbit (at least not in a few orbits). I am trying to beat my record for lowest periapsis though. I don't know about getting it so low I need to stay level with horizon to avoid impact, but close.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
if you search the screenshots thread, there is a guy here that got a physics grade by doing a 2m high orbit around the moon for 3 orbits...till he made the mistake of trying to change his orbit

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used to do this all the time with various vessels. Taking this behemoth down to 50m was interesting:
11_07_06_18-59-31_DSV01.jpg

11_07_06_18-58-09_DSV01.jpg

Even more interesting with terrain to silently scream past:
terrain.png

wheee.png

BGM:

I can't seem to find any pictures of my low-altitude Brighton Beach flybys. You don't realise how fast you're going until you watch an entire bace go by beneath you. It gives that same vague sense of velocity that watching the ISS pass over does.

sitha241

Reaction score
I did some low flights on 2-3 m and doing tourist EVA with DGIV.. :)
I did not try it with terrain but I will some day :)