Lucy

OHM Lucy v.230315

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BrianJ submitted a new addon:

Lucy - The Lucy spacecraft and asteroids.

The Lucy spacecraft, NASA's 12-year mission to Jupiter's trojan asteroids.
Includes asteroids Dinkinesh, Donaldjohanson, Eurybates/Queta, Polymele/Shaun, Leucus, Orus, Patroclus/Menoetius. AtlasV launcher and Launch Complex 41. Launch, post-launch and flyby scenarios.

Scenarios use custom solar system "Sol_LUCY.cfg" which includes default Orbiter planets plus Lucy target asteroids.

Operation and installation info in Doc/Lucy/LUCY_README.txt

Launch scenario requires...

Read more about this addon...

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is one for any TransX enthusiasts!
Features inc. optional Reaction Wheel attitude control, target tracking and imaging.

Caveat: Scenarios use JPL Horizons data, but prior to 01 Jan 2023 00:00:00 UTC the data does not seem to represent historical trajectory. Large discontinuity in data points at 01 Jan 2023.

LUCY - the spacecraft that was definitely not named after a Beatles song.
The fact that the mission patch is diamond shaped is purely coincidental.
lucy_eyes.jpg
;)

Cheers,
BrianJ

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Very nice addon!
Maybe a bit challenging to fly the figure-8 shaped trajectory across the better part of the Solar system ... :)
Did you model all these asteroids and their trajectory data?
___
For those who have not launched a Multistage-rocket for some time, like myself:
[P] toggles the autopilot.

The camera function [F7] is fun!
Not so easy to get a good shot of the target.
63659.97956.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very nice addon!
Maybe a bit challenging to fly the figure-8 shaped trajectory across the better part of the Solar system ... :)
Thanks. Yes indeed, Earth Gravity Assists are particularly gnarly (damn planet wobbles all over the place) and this mission requires three. Rosetta also had three EGAs, and Mars too. I managed to get Rosetta to the comet in Orbiter (eventually), but that was aiming for one final end-point target - trying to intercept a bunch of stuff along the way is a whole lot more difficult, I think. I haven't got very far with it yet.
Did you model all these asteroids and their trajectory data?
I recycled a lot of "rocks" I had lying around from other add-ons, gave 'em a new texture and a normal map. Did the best I could, but I'm not that great at making natural/organic objects.
Asteroid orbit elements are from JPL Horizons, epoch is the day of flyby, so should be fairly accurate for that time period. BTW I still use "cfgData.exe" by Tony Dunn (Orbinaut from way back, check out his Gravity Sim) to convert the Horizons data to Orbiter .cfg format - he made it when you had to use TELNET or send an email to Horizons to get data! Saves a lot of work (thanks Tony).
The camera function [F7] is fun!
Not so easy to get a good shot of the target.
You know there is target tracking function available for the IPP view? I should have made an automated "mosaic" imaging function so it points a little off target centre and takes a series of images so you can get the entire surface close-up.

Cheers all,
BrianJ