Question Makeshift oxygen producing device?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You forget to add that salt must be some sulphate, nitrate, perchlorate etc. Electrolysis of table sult will result in production of toxic chlorine along with H2.

I swear that once I added plenty of table salt to an electrolysis experiment, and the water started to become yellow.

At first a bit yellow, then noxiously opaque yellow. When it started to smell I promptly decided to get rid of it... :eek:h:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
FWIW, I think the easiest oxygen generation method that's house safe is making a catalyst for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide. Silver works really well for this purpose as does manganese dioxide. It'll leave water behind, and bubble out oxygen gas.

Glider

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I swear that once I added plenty of table salt to an electrolysis experiment, and the water started to become yellow.

At first a bit yellow, then noxiously opaque yellow. When it started to smell I promptly decided to get rid of it... :eek:h:
Yellow... :hmm: May be you used iron electrodes ? When I was in school I tried to build electrolysers from some things (1~800 V power source, plastic tubes, copper wires and electrodes from 1.5V batteries). The first version was able to produce only hydrogen along with green opaque solution of copper electrode(CuCl2 + Cu(OH)Cl), but the last version produced nearly pure Cl2 (several litres per hour with proper cooling), NaOH, and H2. Then I found no use for litres of toxic chlorine (It was at my home :lol:) and I disassembled this thing.

FWIW, I think the easiest oxygen generation method that's house safe is making a catalyst for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide. Silver works really well for this purpose as does manganese dioxide. It'll leave water behind, and bubble out oxygen gas.
There's only one problem: to find the hydrogen peroxide. Dilute solutions can be bought but they will be needed in amounts of ~50 litres per day. Concentrated solutions (> 30%) cannot be bought easily. Also they are dangerous and require to be diluted before decomposion by catalist. But I also think that H2O2 is the easiest way(may be except plants).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
NASCAR drivers use CO filters to breathe safely during a race... Interesting, I didn't knew that :

http://www.trackfresh.com/

In Russia, I think to mining companies... They probably have that in their inventory. Maybe miners would know where to get them ?

Or some racing products sites sell them for about 50 USD, you can even order one from Russia or any other place. I never heard of motorsports in Russia, but Moscow is a huge town...

Anyway you would still have to build a device to force air through it, and you would have to seal your home. But in theory, with fans, creativity and patience, you could lower the CO rate... Though I don't know how long those filters are efficient.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Building one of these?

hydroponic_weed.jpg

Stick two wires connected to the positive and negative terminals of a battery, stick the other ends of the wires into baking soda water. Make sure they don't touch. You will see bubbles coming from the wires. Less Oxygen will be produced then hydrogen, so there will be more bubbles around the negative end then the positive one. If you're confused, the bubbles around the positive wire are made of oxygen, so just look for that.

Last edited: