Making first .dll ship... wait, is this legal?

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
So...

A while back I tried to compile the Shuttle PB example from the Orbiter SDK, to get a grip with C++; .dll type vessels. I never did get the thing to work, and lost interest.

About a month later, I decided to try again. I think I got it to work this time. (Thanks to Orb :cheers:) I set out to finish a simple vessel I never completed either, step-by-step making sure that it followed in the PB's footsteps accurately.

Then I stopped myself. Is this legal? It would be mostly Dr. Martin's work. :eek:h::embarrassed: Could I upload it to OrbitHangar?

I figured that I better get a green light before continuing the project.

Thanks! :cheers:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I set out to finish a simple vessel I never completed either, step-by-step making sure that it followed in the PB's footsteps accurately.

Then I stopped myself. Is this legal? It would be mostly Dr. Martin's work. :eek:h::embarrassed: Could I upload it to OrbitHangar?

Hm. A good question. Is it legal WHERE? Every country has its own view on intellectual property, and with modern laws, you can't be sure 100% that no moron or patent-troll is going to sue you.

That said, it all boils down to probability. So the question would be: is it probably illegal to do so? And I would say no, because:
1. The code is in the /samples/ section of the OrbiterSDK.
2. The header states that it is part of the SoftwareDevelopmentKit, another hint on it being a sample for development.
3. All the documentation in the SDK states that it is intended for developers.
4. Nothing in Orbiter's freeware license (look into Orbiter.pdf in the /doc/ folder) says that you can't upload a recompiled ShuttlePB as long as you do not charge for it or claim false copyright.
5. Martin for sure will not sue you for using his example to compile an addon, provided you do so for free and not claim false copyright.
6. (and this is the most important point IMHO if the thing goes to court) There are hundreds of free addons based on the examples in the SDK, all done in good trust and for many years tolerated without a single law-suite (that I know of). It would be pretty hard to argue against that fact in a court.

Of course, a good lawyer and a bad judge could still make all that irrelevant. There is no legal certainty... never was, never will be.

TL;DR: Go ahead and build your addon. As long as you give proper credit and distribute it for free, chances are good you will never have problems.

regards,
Face