OHM Map 3D MFD v0.7a

tofitouf

son excellence
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
What a lovely MFD, I'd like to see further upgrades and enhancements to this one. And maybe even new displays altogether!

if you've got idea for improvements, you're welcome.

I'm quite busy those days (workiong hard on orbiter challenges my new main project)

by I'll keep any idea on a corner of my brain and i'll try to bring the best of those ideas to life.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

The MFD looks like a total Hail Probe to me, but I lack time to test it.

Your azimuth computer is an excellent MFD too. I like it very much. take your time to test it when you'll find some. and tell what you think about.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Thanks for your comment about my MFD.

I've just tested yours. What can I say. Absolute awesomeness! :thumbup: Too bad it wasn't out when I was having a lecture about spaceflight, when I'd show people display of Map 3D MFD instead of ... an artificial globe and a pair of hand-made orbits in form of bands :)
I also like how you display the SOIs of bodies and that you can rotate the solar system view :)

One bug report and two question though:

1. When you rotate the view using two rotation keys in the same time, the MFD reacts properly by stopping the rotation only on the first released button. The other axis' rotation keeps going until you stop it.

2. How far is the MFD compatible with both Orbiter 2006 and 2010 in the same time, since the 2010 uses MFD2 class for MFDs? I assume that you use MFD class instead of MFD2 after all. The idea behind MFD2 class is that the MFD will be compatible with any new graphics clients (even on Linux!), which use their own drawing mechanisms to speed up the drawing (sort of).
If you need some info on how to deal with the problem of having two sets of source code for both Orbiter versions, then have a look at the sources of Launch MFD. By using conditional compilation and macros, I have one, easy to maintain, code base, and I produce 2010 and 2006 versions easily. 2010 is the future.

3. I see that your addon is GPL / LGPLed, but could you do some small effort to prepackage the sources into the MFD's archive if that's not too much to ask?

Last edited:

Gudadantza

Reaction score
One of the Addons that make orbiter Great, Giant.

One idea for next version:
I have installed a great solar system, with a lot of moons, and asteroids and the real usefulness of this mfd is not to be lost into a lot of celestial objects, You know exactly where you are.

So my idea is more visual options for displaying orbits,
sometimes it is all or nothing. With all of the orbits drawn the lines create confussion. What about an option of display orbit by object size?

Keep working in this great toy! greetings.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
i'm a little confused, is this currently incompatible with 2010 p1? I was using this a little with 2006 and thought it was coming along great, but I haven't tried it with 10 p1 yet, should I wait a while to get it then?

tofitouf

son excellence
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
i'm a little confused, is this currently incompatible with 2010 p1? I was using this a little with 2006 and thought it was coming along great, but I haven't tried it with 10 p1 yet, should I wait a while to get it then?

this version is compatible with 2010 SP1, I've just tried it

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

One of the Addons that make orbiter Great, Giant.

One idea for next version:
I have installed a great solar system, with a lot of moons, and asteroids and the real usefulness of this mfd is not to be lost into a lot of celestial objects, You know exactly where you are.

So my idea is more visual options for displaying orbits,
sometimes it is all or nothing. With all of the orbits drawn the lines create confussion. What about an option of display orbit by object size?

Keep working in this great toy! greetings.

Thanks a lot, that's a great idea. I'll think about it but I would need more advice.
when you say to autoselect object by size, how do you think I can filter too small object ? (depending on zoom factor ?)

I'would be a great help for me if you could post me your configuration.
send me a private message if possible

Last edited:

Gudadantza

Reaction score
Yes and not.

One option is: Just more filter options in the orbits menu (moons on or off or by size to affect planetoids and little objects).
assuming that the size of the object is configured into a cfg, but I dont know :)

If turned on, The orbits affected can dissapear, or change color to a softer tone of green, drawn into a softer color less intrusive.

Another option: Dependig the zoom could be a great addition. Less intrusive lines depending the zoom or possition. That could work without adittion of options into the orbits menu. Why not both? :D

I dont know if I am explaining myself; bad english... :)

Greetings !

Gudadantza

Reaction score
I´ve just tested the 0.7 version and It works great.

The new stuff are very useful additions. Now, with the option "only vessel and target orbit, you can view with no problem the solo orbit of an asteroid around jupiter, for example, something very confusing before. Now you have a visual 3D idea of the tiny object orbit with no distractions.

Little and useful change.

Another addition is "show bases", very informative.

In this version and 0.6 the only problem or ctd I have suffered is with another addon or addons (not sure wich one was) "Warp addon" but not sure if Arlav´s one or the other Warp addon. I guess, that´s not important ´cos I think the problem comes with the high speeds and the refresh speed of the Galactic map MFD if "on" when "warping".

The job is very nice done, and it is 0.7 version.

We want 1.0 version now! :D, tomorrow! :D I think space for more additions is possible.

tofitouf

son excellence
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
In this version and 0.6 the only problem or ctd I have suffered is with another addon or addons (not sure wich one was) "Warp addon" but not sure if Arlav´s one or the other Warp addon. I guess, that´s not important ´cos I think the problem comes with the high speeds and the refresh speed of the Galactic map MFD if "on" when "warping".

CTD CTD... my god.

I'll try the warp addon, as it can drastically change the way orbject are setup in the universe, It can be a trouble of mine. I'll test it as soon as possible

thanks for the feedback it help me a lot

Keatah

Reaction score
How do we avoid this situation, with labels on top of labels?

Seems most 'hollywood' computers are smart enough to move the labels around dynamically so they don't overlap one another. But yet, most simulations and games and real-life applications overlook this nicety..

Attachments

• New-1.jpg
    New-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 44

tofitouf

son excellence
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
not yet implemented

How do we avoid this situation, with labels on top of labels?

Seems most 'hollywood' computers are smart enough to move the labels around dynamically so they don't overlap one another. But yet, most simulations and games and real-life applications overlook this nicety..

Interesting trouble, i've not done this yet but there are many ways to do it, I'll think about it for future release, thank for the review.

It's always funny to see how "hollywood" computer have incredibles graphics interfaces, I've tried with my little contribution to make it close to that kind of stuff, but there are always small details like this. :)

Last edited:

sseckels

Reaction score
need help i cant get mine to work

I unzipped 3D Galactic Map vs 0.7 MDF into orbiter 2010 folder and i not getting the consul to work 3d thing

All I am seeing on the left side is the default hub orbit mdf

please help!

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Hey dude ; tofitouf
It would nice to have in the next version

for the Galactic 3d map

when you are in Mdf window and the main screen says

object : Earth REF: Earth bottom right hand corner says x1.0
Scale 6.371 Mm

i would nice to be able to zoom inside the window + or - by changing the scale view increments please thanks:)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Ex-Orbinaut

i downloaded and unzipped into the orbiter folder.
what do i have to do when i'm in my spaceship?
i don't know how i can navigate to the 3d map.
i only can find 2d maps.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
did you activate the MFD from the launchpad?

E

Ex-Orbinaut

oh i see. ok thx. i didn't know that i had to activate it, lol. :facepalm:
it looks very nice. i'm going to try out the different functions^^