Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Winkel Tripel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
While flying Orbiter, I found that the map projection used on the Map MFD is vastly different from the one in Google Maps. Then I searched for a list of map projections and found that the Map MFD uses the equirectangular projection, while the Google Maps uses the Mercator projection. Later I found other projections in that list. Now I'm wondering which map projection is best for thematic maps. Therefore, I have started a poll with my favourite map projections as of 2021.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
While flying Orbiter, I found that the map projection used on the Map MFD is vastly different from the one in Google Maps. Then I searched for a list of map projections and found that the Map MFD uses the equirectangular projection, while the Google Maps uses the Mercator projection. Later I found other projections in that list. Now I'm wondering which map projection is best for thematic maps. Therefore, I have started a poll with my favourite map projections as of 2021.
I think there is a addon map mfd that adds all these map projections. I had it in my old orbiter install.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you like map projections, you're gonna love this: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=c97c2ce4-ef13-4fa7-bd9a-58b6071341c3 ;)
Although I released it July 2020, so @Krishnan may be talking about something else? (as it isn't exactly old).

Anyway, of the small sample of projections in your poll, I actually prefer the Mercator, although it is generally frowned upon (and for good reason). Especially in the square MFD format, it fills the entire MFD, contrary to the equirectangular (default Map MFD) projection.
Never understood the hype for Winkel Tripel. The Robinson I find ok, but the mathematical implementation is a mess.

Some other map projections I like:
  • Hammer, much like the popular Mollweide, but with analytical solution, and some nice curvy longitude lines.
  • Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area, is polar, and looks like a globe. Also, I generally like any equal-area projection, as I personally find it the most important feature of a map.
  • Loximuthal, looks like an egg. Also has the constant-heading-is-a-straight-line-feature, like Mercator.
  • Stereographic, every circle is also a circle on the map. I love circles.

sterographic.png

Also honorary mention to the oblique Mollweide, which hangs in my office.
1624097265585.png

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
is best for thematic maps

What do you mean by "thematic maps" ?

Else yeah I think @asbjos map addon offers you the most possiblities right now. (y)

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
If you like map projections, you're gonna love this: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=c97c2ce4-ef13-4fa7-bd9a-58b6071341c3 ;)
Although I released it July 2020, so @Krishnan may be talking about something else? (as it isn't exactly old).

Anyway, of the small sample of projections in your poll, I actually prefer the Mercator, although it is generally frowned upon (and for good reason). Especially in the square MFD format, it fills the entire MFD, contrary to the equirectangular (default Map MFD) projection.
Never understood the hype for Winkel Tripel. The Robinson I find ok, but the mathematical implementation is a mess.

Some other map projections I like:
  • Hammer, much like the popular Mollweide, but with analytical solution, and some nice curvy longitude lines.
  • Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area, is polar, and looks like a globe. Also, I generally like any equal-area projection, as I personally find it the most important feature of a map.
  • Loximuthal, looks like an egg. Also has the constant-heading-is-a-straight-line-feature, like Mercator.
  • Stereographic, every circle is also a circle on the map. I love circles.

View attachment 25701

Also honorary mention to the oblique Mollweide, which hangs in my office.
View attachment 25703
Yes, this is what I was talking about. By my old Orbiter install, I meant my over-modded 2016 install that I was using when I first got into Orbiter.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
What do you mean by "thematic maps" ?
According to Wikipedia, "A thematic map is a type of map that portrays the geographic pattern of a particular subject matter (theme) in a geographic area." According to the poll results I found that 75% of the OF members prefer either Mercator or Robinson, of which one half prefer Mercator and the other half prefer Robinson.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
According to the poll results I found that 75% of the OF members prefer either Mercator or Robinson, of which one half prefer Mercator and the other half prefer Robinson.

Just curious, how many votes did you collect ?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, you can't really make statistics from that. You can make statistics only when you have real big numbers (even 100 would not be that significant, it would give you a tendency).