OHM Mars Cargo Dragon for Orbiter2016 RC1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

A modified Cargo Dragon, equipped with 4 SuperDraco engines and 200kg extra fuel for propulsive landing on Mars, carrying 1000kg payload. Rudimentary Auto EDL targeting and landing. FalconHeavy launch with flyback recovery side booster stages, core expendable. Launch, Mars approach and EDL scenarios included. A rough "proof of concept" for the projected RedDragon mission.

Adapted for Orbiter 2016 RC1 - not compatible with Orbiter 2010-P1

Installation and operation notes in

Doc/MarsCargoDragon/Mars_Cargo_Dragon_readme.txt

REQUIREMENTS
"Dragon DLL for OrbiterBeta r.13" add-on
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6802

Launch scenario requires:
"FalconHeavy" add-on
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6659

"FalconHeavy for OrbiterBeta r.55" add-on
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6770

Big thanks to Donamy.

DOWNLOAD

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Many thanks for this addon! I was already playing around with this concept, but could not really make it.
Great fiery entry on Mars!

I have an issue with 2016RC1:
- The FalconHeavy launch scenario does not seem to have enough dV to lift the Dragon into the Mars transfer orbit. I end up in an elliptical solar orbit, that does not reach Mars.

Is the launch scenario fool-proof ;), or do I need TransX to determine the TMI-burn?

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there,
the launch autopilot for the FalconHeavy should leave you in 200km parking orbit with ~4000m/s dV remaining for the TMI burn. I'll check it again.
You will need to plan your TMI with TransX or IMFD or whatever.

My main reason for uploading this is so people could enjoy the EDL, flying right over the shoulder of Olympus Mons. The Orbiter2016RC1 default install has hi-res tiles for the area, and it's just spectacular! Definitely the way to bring tourists to Mars.

Cheers,
Brian

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Checked the launch scenario, works ok for me. Are you sure you have the correct launch scenario (side boosters flyback, core expendable) - I haven't upgraded the performance of the FalconHeavy for OrbiterBeta, so you can't have a flyback of the core without losing too much dV for the TMI burn.

Also, you might check you've got the right FalconHeavy modules installed - install the FalconHeavy(Orbiter2010-P1) and then install FalconHeavy for OrbiterBeta r.55 on top, let it overwrite old modules,meshes,etc.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The Mars-EDL is spectacular indeed!

The launch to the 200 km parking orbit works fine. dV remaining was 3,9 km/s. Could be my TransX capabilities are somewhat rusty. Will work on that! :)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Mars-EDL is spectacular indeed!

The launch to the 200 km parking orbit works fine. dV remaining was 3,9 km/s. Could be my TransX capabilities are somewhat rusty. Will work on that! :)
Interesting. I have about 4500m/s dV remaining for the TMI, which is plenty.
I wonder why the difference with your launch?
3900m/s is probably enough, but cutting it fine. And you do need to get an accurate launch to avoid large MCC, to conserve as much fuel as possible for the landing.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Wow its one of the coolest things i saw in Orbiter. Its amazing to see the perfect working RCS, to fly over Olympus mons and then to see the incoming base under the Dragon. I landed only 2,6 km away from Olympus base. No problem to reach with a short walk in mars-space-suits. Or we take just a rover.
Good work :thumbup:

Last edited: