Project Mars Design Reference Mission 1

markp

Reaction score
Hi,

Nearly finished writing a dll for my Mars landers. Hope to develop boosters to get them to Mars sometime and an Earth Return Vehicle to return the crew.

Couple of images attached of the habitats. Legs and wheels are animated now. Rovers also have animated wheels. Also attached an image of flying over Olympus Mons. Text on HUD is information from navigation tool. It is similar to AerobrakeMFD but takes into account parachute deployment altitude.

Try and upload a video sometime. Probably release the addon in a week or so for those who like to practice landings.

Cheers,
Mark

New Picture.jpg

OlympusApproach.jpg

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great! Just planned a Mars flight but didn't find a good vehicle to get down to the surface and back... :thumbup:

markp

Reaction score
Well there is a Mars Ascent Vehice to reach orbit around Mars and it has a docking port to dock with an ERV. The capsule has appropriate aerodynamics so it can do a skip reentry at Earth and keep the g-levels low.

It may be possible to complete a trip to Mars with other add-ons but I haven't tried that.

MAV.jpg

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Instead of starting my own thread, think I should add stuff to this one, although the designs are a bit newer (DRA 5.0 currently). Attaching the Surface Fission Reactor in 3DS format...

Attachments

• SurfaceFissionReactor.zip
    34 KB · Views: 52

markp

Reaction score
Nice mesh, much better than the one I have! Probably try this out deploying it with the rover sometime soon.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Looks great!

If we assume a split mission (cargo separated from passengers), the lander and surface module would be pre-deployed at the Mars surface or in Mars orbit. So we only a manned transport from Earth to Mars.

We could use the Bekuo [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3212"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=321[/ame]

or the russian Mars transport vehicle [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4562"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4562[/ame]

markp

Reaction score
80mileshigh Mars Transfer Vehicle and DRM 1 lander docking tests

Mars1994.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Thanks francisdrake for the links!! Don't think I'd seen the Bekuo one before.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I'm not a big fan of the Beuko ship, but the Vasmir drive is very cool, I made a mesh for my version of the Mars-1 ship. See attached renders, but I don't want to build it. I would however like to see an add on that can dock with my Gateway station. I use the standard CBM ports found on ISS for my station.

In truth I'd like to see the whole fleet made, that could be assembled on Gateway station since that's what I designed it for.
See the thread http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21930
I could get the specs together for the construction area on the aft end of the station if someone would be interested in creating the MARS-X Fleet.

I took apart the Beuko vasimir drive segment, and redrew it in 3DS just to see if I could do it, and it came out well. I didn't use any textures, but rather colored the objects to my liking, and close to the reference images I got from Google Images search. Most PM images...

Let me know if this sounds interesting or if i'm stuck doing this after the station is finished. Thanks Keep up the great work.

Attachments

• Mars-1_Pers.jpg
    Mars-1_Pers.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Mars-1.jpg
    Mars-1.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 219

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
This is my Plastic and resign model of Gateway station with Mars-1, The physical project has stalled for now, trying to get the 3D mesh put together without using anyones add-ons. I just don't want to publish anyone elses work. It should be my own, for my masters thesis.

The completed model will be over 4 feet long and about 2.5 feet wide, by 12 or so " tall.
Thanks again. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 187

markp

Reaction score
Fascinating stuff Capt hensley! Thanks for posting! Looks like an interesting project.

markp

Reaction score
Descent from orbit of the Mars Ascent Vehicle and the Mars Surface Lander!

New Picture (5).jpg

New Picture (8).jpg

New Picture (9).jpg

New Picture (12).jpg

markp

Reaction score
Landers are now on Orbit Hanger Mods.

Probably be a few little things that I've missed. I'll see to them in the next week or so as they turn up. The frame rates suffer a bit when the camera is looking at the ships. Not sure what to do about that.

Last minute cargo item added was wishbone's surface fission reactor! Looking good!

I've got lots of ideas for another version of the landers etc but probably be a few months until that is ready. Hope the landers are useful for some trips to Mars!

markp

Reaction score
Been correcting some small errors with the add-on doc/scenarios. Also made a little update of the add-on with extra docking port and adapter added. This is so Wishbone's NTR core propulsion stage, from DRA 5.0, can be used as they look quite close to the stages used in Mars DRM 1.0! Haven't left Earth orbit yet but hopefully try a trip to Mars at the weekend. Some pictures taken of docking tests in Earth orbit.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Am really sorry about the colour of the stage :) ; the whole train looks like an angry bullterrier because of that. Hope I can learn texturing...

markp

Reaction score
Interesting observation! It is going to Mars so I suppose it has to look a bit angry. :)