Question Mars One?

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
http://www.mars-one.com/

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been done yet, unless I'm searching in the wrong place. This is probably (in my opinion) the most promising of serious attempts to send humans to Mars. Does this exist as an addon already? Is it in development? Are there legal reasons it's not in development if it isn't?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
We can simulate the Mars One experience by having a Mars One addon development thread that goes on and on for years but ultimately produces nothing because the scale of the challenge has been seriously under-estimated and because the required funds have failed to be raised by 3-4 orders of magnitude.

Seriously though, other than concept art that throws SpaceX in your face, does Mars One even know what architecture their mission would have?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi I believe most of the things for Mars One is available. Nobody here is all that excited about it because I am guessing most people think it will not eventuate. Other missions and addons for Mars missions are available although perhaps not for the latest version of Orbiter, but I remember seeing a Mars Direct.

SpaceX%20launch%20vehicles%20and%20Dragon.jpg

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442"]SpaceX launch vehicles and Dragon[/ame]

This addon adds Falcon 1, 1e, 9, Heavy launch vehicles and Dragon spacecraft (cargo and two different manned versions) . Each launch vehicle can carry any vessel as a payload. All LV have autopilot that requires only input of equatorial inclination and apogee. All LV have 7 types of failures that can happen during a launch.(can be turned off)
All versions of Dragon are able to transport UCGO cargo. Two manned versions also can transport 7 or 4 UMMUs. All Dragons have realistic features like limited energy or oxygen. (They can be easily turned off) and realistic reentry (also can be turned off).Manned Dragons can use fuel or oxygen from UCGO cargo to replenish their own fuel or the resource of lifesupport. Also, manned versions have a simple VC. (design is temporary) and LES that can be used for launch abort or propulsive landing on solid surfaces.
Also, this addon adds 3 other launch vehicles: Falcon X, X heavy, XX with max payload masses 63, 125 and 140 tons to 28.5 LEO.
Everything, except transparent fairing, Dragon's VC and solar panels before deployment, should work with D3D9Client.

There are some Mars One designs that are not included, I do believe that Mars Ones will use mainly space-x equipment but slightly modified such as the capsules having breaking thrusters and landing legs, also slightly bigger & deeper. I do like some of their designs thou. Everything from Mars Ones is really just concept art, but I too am surprised a MO fanboy has not created specific modules for Orbiter.

I do like their transfer ship however, it does look impressive.

(Images from their promo videos, not Orbiter)
newUdh8.jpg

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
Besides the actual Dragon capsule being available, is nobody interested in creating this addon?

I know Mars One was controversial then and still is. It is currently the only initiative for a Mars attempt within a short term timeframe.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Besides the actual Dragon capsule being available, is nobody interested in creating this addon?

I know Mars One was controversial then and still is. It is currently the only initiative for a Mars attempt within a short term timeframe.

It's also a hoax.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Well, the Delta glider isn't real either.

Since you have read this post, would you be interested in adding the Ocean of Storms terrain to the Moon so it is available to land outside of the Moon mission pack originally released with many years back?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is it really a hoax, or just a company that rather strongly believes that optimism is the key to success?

I would say the former, judging the company constructions and funding sources.

It really leaves a lot of doubt that this construct is meant to get people to Mars.

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would say the former, judging the company constructions and funding sources.

It really leaves a lot of doubt that this construct is meant to get people to Mars.

Well, assuming it's a hoax is at least giving more credit to their intelligence than most people would.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Okay then, nobody is up for that. I sure would like to get the terrain onto the Moon, I could add an addon into the historic pack..

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay then, nobody is up for that. I sure would like to get the terrain onto the Moon, I could add an addon into the historic pack..

Have you seen the terrain for the new Orbiter beta? I presume this is what you are looking for.

In general - nobody is getting paid to write the Orbiter code or any addon development, so there's no expectation that any feature will be developed at any time. Speaking personally - I write addons and curate old addons for the technical enjoyment of doing the coding, but it has to be an area of interest to me. I guess most developers here feel the same. So if you want a specific addon, or vessel, then you need to find somebody who shares your interest, or you need to figure out how to develop it yourself (it's all possible if you commit the time to learning how to do it).

richfororbit

Reaction score
I want to get the Ocean of Storms terrain from the historic mission pack, into 2010. That is what I have and I'm using. Unless I can just place another spacecraft into the Moon scenario pack, and I can leave it at that.

So no I haven't looked into anything with the development of a future release.