Challenge Martian moons tour

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I was hoping I could fix this quickly, but it will take me a bit longer.

These scripts were written almost a year ago. I looked at the code and I cringed at how messy and badly written it is. It gets the job done, but it's difficult to fix when a problem occurs.

At this point it would be better to rewrite the whole thing in a cleaner, simpler way. It would fix the problems and add some functions.

I'll also try to get this to work even if you load it from a save, but I am not sure I can do it.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

the XR2 keeps saying wheels down,wheels up again and again until ur TAS becomes exactly 0.00,i dont think orbiter provides more precision than that...do i have to wait for the status to change?

I was not able to reproduce that problem. For me as soon as the vessel was completely stopped, the goal status changed to "completed".

Nonetheless, the "landed check" now is a a soft touchdown, instead of a complete landing.
I have noticed on other threads, people reporting problems with vessels landed on bodies with small gravity, due to very high frame rates from the external graphics clients.
If the problem persists even now, there is nothing I can do about it. The only thing you can do is to run Orbiter with the inline client.

Here is a quick vid with the landed on Deimos check on the script.
I was running Orbiter with the D3D9 client at ~180 fps

The cross feed problem has been fixed. The script allows for fuel to be transfered between tanks, but prompts a "mission failure message" if you try to add fuel with the scenario editor.

The patch is attached on post #1 of this thread. Unzip in your Orbiter directory maintaining directory structure and let it overwrite the $Orbiterroot\Script\Challenges\XR2\Martian_moons_tour\Challenge1.lua file.

The challenge is still meant to be completed in a single session and cannot be picked up from a save.

Thanks for reporting the problem and again, sorry for the inconvenience.
:cheers:

downloaderfan

Reaction score
[/COLOR]

I was not able to reproduce that problem. For me as soon as the vessel was completely stopped, the goal status changed to "completed".

Nonetheless, the "landed check" now is a a soft touchdown, instead of a complete landing.
I have noticed on other threads, people reporting problems with vessels landed on bodies with small gravity, due to very high frame rates from the external graphics clients.
If the problem persists even now, there is nothing I can do about it. The only thing you can do is to run Orbiter with the inline client.

Here is a quick vid with the landed on Deimos check on the script.
I was running Orbiter with the D3D9 client at ~180 fps

XR2 Martian Moons Tour Deimos landing Test - YouTube

The cross feed problem has been fixed. The script allows for fuel to be transfered between tanks, but prompts a "mission failure message" if you try to add fuel with the scenario editor.

The patch is attached on post #1 of this thread. Unzip in your Orbiter directory maintaining directory structure and let it overwrite the $Orbiterroot\Script\Challenges\XR2\Martian_moons_tour\Challenge1.lua file.

The challenge is still meant to be completed in a single session and cannot be picked up from a save.

Thanks for reporting the problem and again, sorry for the inconvenience.
:cheers:

Its alright man,thanks for ur time to fix this problem.I'll start with it in a few hours from now on.

Also sorry for the late reply,i get to be online at most twice a week,so i cant be online any time i want. Plz understand my situation.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
alrighty,finally did it.The ending was kinda sad though.

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/downloaderfan/media/Image_zpsce650536.png.html

Just lost too much of dv with the autopilot,take a look at this pic below
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/downloaderfan/media/Image2_zps8dc8964e.png.html

also had a gear failure in the end after the XR2 bounced back up after a smooth touchdown,and came down with 7m/s.This never happened in my previous attemps. Luckily,your script this time,worked in the way i wanted it to. :)

Also after i took off from deimos with slight hover power,later i found out that it was the prograde direction and i had increased my altitude at the other end,which increased my de orbit dv.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Nicely done! :thumbup:

Scoreboard updated. Its going to be hard to beat that.

SanderBuruma

Reaction score
I've been trying and trying to figure out this challenge to try to reach the potential minimum dV milling over it in the back of my mind for the last few weeks or months. I have ascent to LMO down to about 3650m/s dV. However by anything but random trial and error I cant get down to using less than 6800 dV to go the full tour.

According to my calculations the minimum dV is ~6550m/s (3688m/s for launch, 1270m/s to Phobos, 935m/s to Deimos, 679m/s to Mars)

The phase angle between Phobos-glider for injection to phobos would be about 72°, and the Deimos-glider phase angle (at time of launch) would have to be about 181° in order to go from Phobos to the hohman transfer to Deimos right after landing.

The scenario has a window for this shortly after launching, and I reckon also on 2001 April 6, 06:45 UT. There are probably also many other windows within a few days. My main problem right now is that I cant figure out IMFD or TransX to produce the required maneuvers with the least amount of dV expenditure. As it is most of the time dV is 20-50% above minimum as I'm always arriving at suboptimal angles, probably because the exact phase angle is never exactly right.

I just cant figure it out.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
SanderBuruma said:
As it is most of the time dV is 20-50% above minimum as I'm always arriving at suboptimal angles, probably because the exact phase angle is never exactly right.
I just cant figure it out.

The planes of Phobos and Deimos have a "natural" intersection. ;)

According to my calculations the minimum dV is ~6550m/s
That seems about right. Minimum time should be ~17.5 hours

It had been a while since my last attempt, so I thought I'd give it another go with the DeltaGlider.

MartianMoonsTour_zps40d5fe95.jpg

DV: 6586.87 with 5h:30min still left on the clock.
Scoreboard updated.