MFD Master MFD

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would be nice a Master MFD to organize other MFD s by categories given the large number of existing , this MFD's organized by categories . To facilitate finding them faster.

Maybe they could set up categories and MFD in a text file or other system.

such as

Navigation,
-VOR
- VTOL
-Doking

Control Atitude,
-Atitude MFD

Takeoff,
-LaunchMFD

Landing,
-Hover MFD
Communications,

Flight,
-SurfaceMFD
-Aling PlanesMFD
-AeroBrake

Paths
-OrbitMFD
-InterplanetaryMFD
-TransXMFD

etc, well, maybe a form of organize serious category as flight controllers is organized into mission control FIDO GUIDO EECOM RETRO etc.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Completely agree here. I often have to scroll through 10 or 20 modules (in-flight) in order to get a certain display. Totally not realistic. A text-file defined tree would simply things beyond belief!

Theoretically one could access 144 different MFD's by hitting only two buttons as opposed to hitting the SEL button 8 times and pausing to read my choices. And these choices change if I upgrade or add a new MFD.

So you've got 12 pages of 12 mfds-per-page. Each main category (choice of 12) would be nameable by the user to whatever he/she wants. And once a category button is pressed, you then get your choice of 12 mfds to pick from. The mfds themselves could use either their default name, or a user definable name - because some existing names are too long and overstrike (to use a 1970's typewriter term) adjacent names.

Optionally there could be a color code, or representation by symbols. But I would be eternally thankful to the gods of olympus if this simple text-file-definable system were made just as described.

Even more-optionally it would be cool to be able to make a hot-button that would take you right to a specific screen within a certain MFD, and then "leave you there". No need to even select the MFD in the first place.

All of this would be user-customizable via an mfdsetup.txt, for example.

As Orbiter grows in complexity and sophistication so will the information management system within each spacecraft. As a matter of total and completely honest fact, not having this capability is a major source of tediousness and frustration and is one of the reasons I don't play Orbiter as much as I'd like to.

And I strongly feel all this should be part of the next Orbiter release, too.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can someone make MFDs, that don't have the red input screen popup in the middle of the screen. It kills the immersive factor. Can somone make a MFD that lets the input be typed into the MFD ?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can someone make MFDs, that don't have the red input screen popup in the middle of the screen. It kills the immersive factor. Can somone make a MFD that lets the input be typed into the MFD ?

Have a look to the "[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6398"]Surface Speed MFD V2.11[/ame]" if you want. It has a verry little and simple selfmade "GUI" I made, in which you can controll the cursor by keys. Only if you want to input the latitude / longitude manual it uses an inputbox as far as I remember.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Do you mean that as an overwrite? Like if you click one of the stock MFD target selectors, you'll get the bottom line of that MFD overwritten with an input line instead of the usual pop-up box?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

This would be possible for a panel (though quite a bit of work), but MFDs only receive certain keypresses. I don't see how this could be accomplished, but maybe I'm just not inventive enough...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do you mean that as an overwrite? Like if you click one of the stock MFD target selectors, you'll get the bottom line of that MFD overwritten with an input line instead of the usual pop-up box?

Something like what SiameseCat did in his CRT MFD for the SSU, but in an MFD.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This would be possible for a panel (though quite a bit of work), but MFDs only receive certain keypresses. I don't see how this could be accomplished, but maybe I'm just not inventive enough...

I think it would be nice if the mfd author could simply specify the coordinates of where the input box pops up so that its on top of the mfd location. Of course that would probably require a change on Martins end, but not too unreasonable IMO.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You could also capture all (LEFT | RIGHT) SHIFT + X depresses. Or you provide an on-screen keyboard with the MFD buttons.

Also, with some scripting, you could at least configure a basic general purpose MFD to show different views. Performing guidance tasks could be a bit harder, but with a configuration file, you could of course select from built-in strategies and configure them.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Whats about a "touchscreen MFD" (this means the possibility of the API to notice a mouse click in the MFD)?

I allready investigated this topic long time ago (thread) , but I don't know a solution which works for all kinds of MFD (External MFD, 3D - Cockpit MFD, 2D MFD, ...?) Maybe there are any new options in the "2014 release"...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would it be possible, to do a graphics screen such as was shown briefly, during the Cygnuss launch, that shows the telemetry on the right?

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I might be able to work on a prototype of MasterMFD. Looking through the API, it's defiantly possible.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I don't see how this could be accomplished, but maybe I'm just not inventive enough...

It has been accomplished -- this add-on gets input over the network instead of displaying the dialog box.

picture.php

Feel free to reuse the code to implement your own input method.

Last edited: