Mercury Atlas Booster

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any work has been done to turn the Mercury Atlas Booster into a launch vehicle for the Project Gemini Augmented docking Target Vehicle ?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought Sputnik was working on a generic CVEL Atlas a while back, but don't know for sure.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You mean this critter?

Gem-ATDA.jpg

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's been done.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Neither. The ATDA is the work of 80mileshigh, which he shared with me over a year ago, and the Atlas interface is mine (guidance is still very quirky). It was basically an excercise in making them work together and not intended for distribution. Not all that difficult though...

I don't feel right about releasing somebody else's work without their permission either, so as of now it's just for personal use.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I understand. I tried making a launcher out of the Atlas myself but could never get it to function properly ..............
Maybe someday ........ It would be nice to simulate a complete Gemini Docking mission with the ATDA from launch to splash down.
Maybe this thread will generate enough intrest to bring it about.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, that would be a fictional scenario since the ATDA was only flown once and Gemini IX was unable to dock because the launch shroud never jettisoned, but I wouldn't think it would be much different from an Agena docking flight...except the ATDA had no propulsion system (in reality, it was an adapted Gemini nose-cone with an Agena docking collar bolted on).

The last I heard from 80mileshigh, he'd done the ATDA for Rob with the next Gemini version in mind. I don't know...that may be why he never released it on his own. He does some really (as the astronauts might say) "$hit-hot" work though. His ATDA model is gorgeous.

Wish I could say the same for my Atlas job. I know I based it on another add-on...I want to say it was Ranger, but I don't remember for sure, but my cfg will allow you to fly it into orbit manually ( a pretty hairy ride though :p), but it's really just best for hitting the launch buttons and watching it lift off. I set up the docking scenario with the ATDA already in orbit. Not a perfect solution, but it sure looks :speakcool:.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well since I create the Atlas model as well as launch tower you are talking about, by all means proceed. BTW, the Atlas pictured on the launch pad is 90 degrees off.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sweeeeeeeet. Not only would it enhance the existing Gemini program, It would add another 60s era launch vehicle for VLEO payloads.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's cool. I'd be willing when I finish my current project, but the ATDA is still the intellectual property of 80mileshigh.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
...bumping an old thread...

I just watched part one of "When We Left the Earth" which made no mention of the ATDA rendezvous during Gemini IX! You'd think the Angry Alligator would make for some good TV shots. Anyway, it got me thinking of the old model of mine which Saturn V has shown here.

At the time that I modeled the ATDA (way back in 2005), Rob intended to code enitire launch sequences for the Gemini docking targets. These were to include fairing animations for the ATDA. At least, I believe this was the plan. I haven't communicated with him since this time though, and I don't know of the project's current status.

However, Project Gemini is released under a BSD license, which also permitted me to scavenge a few bits from the ATV model; so perhaps the ATDA could be released on its own under these terms? If there's any interest in this idea I could always shoot off an email to Rob.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I have not been doing an Atlas series, but it wouldn't be hard to throw one together under Velcro. Anybody have a set of meshes they can donate?

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sadly, no. I tried modifying the Atlas with the material in the original download. I really liked the way the two-engines jetisoned shortly before the main booster burn out/staging. Very nice touch to reduce mass and increase engine performance.