Meshing Question Mesh from blender is acting strange...

rektiphier

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new to Orbiter mod development, and I'm currently trying to make a simple shuttle pod type vessel.

I started by modifying the ShuttlePB sample to the Atlantis_tank as its mesh. I compiled the dll, and made the config file with no problems. I used the scenario editor to add the new vessel, and it worked as expected: looked like atlantis' fuel tank, flew like ShuttlePB.

I then made a simple shuttle mesh in Blender and exported it to .msh using the built-in plugin. I modified the sample again to use my mesh. It loads up just fine, the textures are correct, and I can even do a few things like yaw or use hover thrusters. But, oddly, if I attempt to bank left or right, or use forward or backward RCS thrusters, Orbiter crashes. This does not happen when I use Atlantis_tank as the mesh.

Does anyone have any insight into what may be happening here? I thought at first it might be an issue with the mesh, so I tried again with a simple cube. The same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think this is because of the number of groups in the Mesh (appearing as standalone objects in Blender). The Shuttle PB has animations for the winglets, and each winglet is on its own group.
Animations are defined in the DLL, using the group number. But I think when a group number isn't on the mesh, Orbiter CTD.
Try to add 3 cubes, select them all and export to msh, or remove the animation parts or the code.

rektiphier

Reaction score
I think this is because of the number of groups in the Mesh (appearing as standalone objects in Blender). The Shuttle PB has animations for the winglets, and each winglet is on its own group.
Animations are defined in the DLL, using the group number. But I think when a group number isn't on the mesh, Orbiter CTD.
Try to add 3 cubes, select them all and export to msh, or remove the animation parts or the code.

Yup, that was it. I commented out all the animation stuff and it works great. Thanks! :)